Collard and Collard - parts?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Confused

Collard and Collard - parts?

Post by Confused »

:?: I have found what appears to be three parts to a Collard and Collard Patent Repeater, at least that's what it says on one of the parts. Two of the parts I think I've identified by looking at pianos online. They seem to have come from a Grand Piano. One seems to be the sheet music holder (rather ornate) and the other is the lid part nearest the keyboard. The remaining part is nearly as long as the lid, but is an 'L' shape section with the outside corner of the 'L' at 90 degrees and is gracefully curved on the inside of that corner, for the whole length of it. It doesn't really look like a keyboard lid, though. It's a puzzle. It was found in my mothers loft, left there by the previous owners of the house, although they are long gone now - over ten years ago. How or why they came to leave parts of a Grand Piano there is a mystery. :roll: However it might help in the restoration of a damaged piano. They are a bit scratched but it seems a shame to take them to the tip. Any ideas, anyone?
Bill Kibby

Re: Collard and Collard - parts?

Post by Bill Kibby »

I am renowned for collectng piano-related "junk" for our displays, but it depends where it is of course. We are in Great Yarmouth. I am trying to puzzle out this l-shaped thingamebob with a curve. If itsseveral inches thick, it wuld be the actual FALL that closes on the keys.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

The sheet music stand will probably be useful to someone as the fretwork sometimes gets damaged.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Bill Kibby wrote:I am trying to puzzle out this l-shaped thingamebob with a curve. If itsseveral inches thick, it wuld be the actual FALL that closes on the keys.
They didn't have a bi-fold fall like the Broadwood, did they? If so, it could just be the other bit of the fall...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Confused

Post by Confused »

Hi, and thanks for your interest.
The sheet music stand looks in reasonable order. It has a thin main frame, a hinged main central part (presumeably for the sheets) and two sliding bits (almost square) - one at each end.
The odd L-shaped thingy(!) is much shorter on one side of the L section than the other and it is the part that has 'Collard & Collard' on it, with (underneath) 'Late Clementi, Collard & Collard' 'London' in smaller letters.

I could email you, Bill, with some photos - once I've taken some!

By the way, I'm in Corfe Castle, Dorset.

Will Blight.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I haven't been to Corfe Castle for about half a century, so perhaps I'm due! It sounds much too interesting to scrap, but we don't get to Dorset too often. I may have a cunning plan! Photos would be interesting. The refererence to "late Clementi" etc. makes it quite old, perhaps mid-1800s, but people are not exactly queueing up to restore pianos of that age.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't suppose you ever drive to Yeovil?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Confused

Post by Confused »

I don't regularly, no - please see email.

Thanks,

Will.