Carl Ronisch piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

madeleine

Carl Ronisch piano

Post by madeleine »

I have inherited my grandmother's piano and wonder if anyone can tell me anything about it, especially the age. It was made by Carl Ronisch of Dresden and sold by the Aeolian Company of Aeolian Hall 135/7 Bond Street, London (marked inside the lid). Inside the case, on the right hand panel is stamped the number 4994. I cannot see any other number at the moment. I understand the Carl Ronisch factory was demolished by the allied bombing of Dresden - this is somewhat ironic in this case as the top of the piano bears a slight scar from the Luftwaffe bombing of England!

Madeleine
Bill Kibby

Ronisch

Post by Bill Kibby »

A number this low would suggest a date around 1872, too early to have been sold new by Aeolian. Is there a longer number somewhere? Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.PianoGen.org
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 25 Dec 2007, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
madeleine

Post by madeleine »

Thank you for this. Where else on the piano might I find a number? Or should I wait a month or so for my next visit from my tuner? She may be better able to pull the instrument apart sufficiently to find any further information. Do you know anything about the Aeolian music company?

I am interested that it appears never to have had candle sconces. Would this be indicative of a later (gas lit) date?

As far as I am aware my grandmother was given the piano by some people who admired her playing when she was about 20, which would be around the beginning of the first world war.
Madeleine
Bill Kibby

Ronisch

Post by Bill Kibby »

It is not an exact rule, but assuming that it has not been altered, sconces tended to die out in the twenties. Aeolian is a famous company responsible for (among other things) the Pianola. They seem to have moved to that address around 1902, so it might be older than I first thought.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
madeleine

Post by madeleine »

I've had a closer look at the front and can see where candle sconces would have been, after all: well mended holes! When my piano tuner next comes, I'll ask her to see if there are any further numbers anywhere: we did have a look, following advice from your site, but could not see any.

Would the Aeolian company have sold second hand pianos?

Madeleine

Thanks for your information so far.
Otto
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Otto »

On my mother's Ronisch the serial number was on the left side panel.

We found it by opening the lid and looking on the left hand end panel on the end of the grain just under the lid itself. It was just stamped in a relatively rough and ready way with numbers about 3/8 inch high.
Otto
Zelada

Re: Carl Ronisch piano

Post by Zelada »

Hi there,
I am also looking to find out about a Rönisch piano. I have serial numbers (2) and I will try to upload a couple of pics for you to see.
I am interested in as much information on the instrument as I can possible get, as well as how much it would be worth.

Number behind the strings, left hand side as you look at it: 509
Number below the keys, outside: 19340

Any information would be very helpfull.
Sorry I can not help back with any information for your piano though.

Thank you.

Zelada (Madrid, Spain)
Attachments
3.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

19340 suggests that it was made around 1891, nobody is going to tell you the value without inspecting it. What sort of other information where you hoping for?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Zelada

Post by Zelada »

Hi,
Thank you for your information. I don't know too much about pianos and this one has "landed" on my hands recently so I am figuring out what to do as I go along.
I am living in Madrid and the piano is also here. As far as I know moving a piano is not an easy thing, so before I do anything with it I will need to get an expert to look at it (as you pointed out in your mail).
Do you, by any chance, have anybody in Madrid who would be right for this job?

Thank you.

Zelada.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

No, sorry, I don't know anyone there.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

There must be a number of piano technicians in Madrid. Look it up in your telephone directory.