Background as to where I'm at -
After taking weekly lessons for <6 months and not really enjoying scales or wanting to do grade exams, I felt I had learnt enough to muddle through on my own for my own enjoyment, and so I've been playing for a few years since that.
I have built up a collection of piano books, and typically I pick a book an play through what I think I can sight read to a recognisable level, and muscle memory usually kicks in when I've played it a few times.
My go to books are typically
- Enya - Shepherd Moons, Watermark & A day without rain
- Minecraft Volume Alpha - Piano Solos
- Harry Potter - Easy Piano
- Disney Giant Movie Hits - Big Note Piano
- Coldplay - Really Easy Piano, but have recently gotten a harder version which I'm working through slowly.
- La La Land - Easy Piano
- Final Fantasy VII & X - Piano Collections (typically hard, but I have a few favourites I cannot play to the end)
- The Feeling
- Katie Melua
- The Greatest Showman