Kemble Traditional or Kemble Oxford

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Timwade

Kemble Traditional or Kemble Oxford

Post by Timwade » 27 Jul 2018, 22:04

Hi there.

I have found 2 pianos I would like to purchase for my wife’s 30th birthday. One is a 1990 Kemble traditional priced at £2300 the other is a 1998 Kemble oxford priced at £1250

Both in good condition. Is the traditional nearly £1000 better?

Many thanks for your help- I am a piano buying novice.

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Kemble Traditional or Kemble Oxford

Post by chrisw » 28 Jul 2018, 15:32

The Kemble Traditional is slightly larger than the Oxford, 116cm high compared to 110cm high; 151 cm wide compared to 150 cm wide. The string lengths in the Traditional will be longer giving this piano potentially a richer more mellow but also greater volume of sound. However it all depends how well these pianos have been treated in their first 20 or 30 years of life. Either you need to ask a piano tuner to check out both to confirm both are in an acceptable condition for the age and price or you should purchase from a piano shop which offers a five year guarantee.

If both of these pianos were in identical condition I would be tempted to go for the newer, cheaper piano unless there was something about the sound of the other or how it played that I thought the extra £1000 made it worth it. I wouldn't buy either privately unless I took a tuner with me. If they are both being sold by a reputable dealer I would also bear in mind whether the larger piano would produce too much sound for the room I was to put it in.

I have the smallest of the Kemble pianos bought new in 1994 and I am still happy with it, although there have been times I wonder if I should upgrade to a grand.

Timwade

Post by Timwade » 31 Jul 2018, 10:58

Thank you.

I’ve had a piano teacher teacher check them out and the cheaper has a good sound as well.

Problem is my wife is now saying she wants a black one...!

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw » 31 Jul 2018, 15:34

My Kemble is black polyester...it shows all the dust, but I suppose that is a good thing because there is no excuse to keep the case clean.

I've just had a look at some well known piano dealers on the internet and found a relatively recent Kemble in black at Bonners of Eastbourne for about £1500 with a three year warranty. They call this model a K109 but it looks like a Kemble Classic to me. These are good pianos for their size and are satisfactory to take a student to grade 8 and perhaps beyond.