Church piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Daisypink

Church piano

Post by Daisypink »

The piano in our church is a modern upright Broadwood and played once or twice weekly. Several notes stick every time I play this piano and it's driving me mad.I've been in touch with Broadwood and they recommend using a humidifier. I've spent this afternoon reading all about this and think l need to buy a hygrometer first of all.
Please can someone recommend a humidifier for this piano? The heating is on for Sunday services but it's still cold right now and baltic for no heating days. I know not to have the piano against an outside wall or radiator but no further knowledge.

Hope someone can help!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Church piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It's not a humidifier it's a dehumidifier you need.
This is the best one you can get because it has a control unit and won't overheat the piano you need to leave it plugged in all the time.
https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-acce ... it-94.html

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Daisypink

Post by Daisypink »

Hi Barrie, thanks for your reply. We have a heater inside the piano (the Fabric Convener tells me it’s the length of the keyboard) but it’s only on when I play the piano as it’s plugged in with the piano light. Should I try leaving it on continuously for a few days, or maybe weeks, to see if there’s an improvement?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

To work efficiently, you need it turned on all the time 24 seven in the winter months, particularly in the church.

Also, the piano tuner may need to ease the keys to the church's environment. Modern pianos are designed for central heating and don't do well in damp places.

barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page