Chappell Piano History

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Chappell Piano History

Post by lindylewis »

Hi there from South Australia! Just after some info about my piano, had it in the family approx 25 years, bought from a second hand store
Can't find many numbers, labels or stamps on it other than one on the frame just under the top lid on the left 5 digits and a 3 digit one just inside on the end on the wood, pics attached. Don't have a lot of room for it but don't want to get rid of it, just interested in any known history/details. Need to re-glue many of the key tops as they came off one year for some reason, assume too much change in temperature or something
Attachments
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4363.JPG
Bill Kibby

Re: Chappell Piano History

Post by Bill Kibby »

It looks like something from the twenties, perhaps around 1923, but you don't say what the numbers are, or show them in the photos. They are the only clue that might tell us when it was made. While the piano is undressed, if you can remove the fall (keyboard cover) you could carefully lift a few keys out at the bass (left) end, and check if there are any clues on or under them.
The key coverings falling off suggests that the scotch glue has got damp.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lindylewis »

Oh thanks for the reply, thought I attached more than 2 photos, will try to attach the others to this reply... the wooden stamp is 269 and the frame stamp 16404
Hmmm the dampness probably comes from our evaporative air conditioner unfortunately.
Attachments
IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lindylewis »

Also I can't see anything on the sides of the bass keys and am not sure how to gain access to remove the keys to look underneath!
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Have a look on my Datemarks page at pianohistory.info or click the "clues inside" link.
I would be expecting a serial number in the 70,000 range, and not usually imprinted on the edge like that.
If your tuner feels it is safe to remove the action, it may be marked with the action makers' name (perhaps Higel) and number, and I may be able to date this.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lindylewis »

Ok so I didn't realise how easy it was to remove the keys cover and have now found quite a few more marks, photos attached. Behind the strings and on an angled piece of wood the numbers 58269 is punched (really hard to get a pic) and near that in small punched writing A.CARDALL. There is another lightly punched number further along 86506 facing upwards.The far bass key has W.B. punched into the side and a signature in pencil? There is a whole bunch of dates written in pencil on top of some of the keys, assuming tuning dates? And J.M. punched on the top of the far right key (no. 85). The number 269 seems to be punched or written in pencil on most of the wooden parts. Hope this is a bit more help!
Attachments
IMG_4384.JPG
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4395.jpg
lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lindylewis »

Extra pic, wouldn't let me attach this one to the last message
Attachments
IMG_4383.JPG
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I can't recognise the parts where 58269 is imprinted, are they keys? I can't make out what the vertical things are.
The 269 on most parts is the last 3 digits of the serial number, which would date it at 1915, or perhaps just into 1916, so earlier than I guessed, but who knows how accurate these dates would be in the middle of a world war.
Does this fit in with the earliest of the tuning dates?
Cardall would be a senior worker at the factory, signing his work.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
lindylewis
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lindylewis »

Here is a pic a bit further away to help show where the 58269 is located, i've circled where you can see the 9.
The earliest date pencilled on top of the keys is 13/4/48
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4409 2.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Thanks, it's always useful to be able to tell other people where the number might be. It is not uncommon for it to be on the soundboard, but this one is tucked away.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.