Fritz Willeringhaus/Lipp grand

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

oldchapel

Fritz Willeringhaus/Lipp grand

Post by oldchapel »

We have acquired a 1905 Lipp 6' grand and have found a tiny label for Fritz Willeringhaus, Berners Street, London whom I imagine were the original sellers of the instrument. Does anyone have any information about this company or more generally about Lipp and their pianos in the UK. Unlike their contemporaries, Bechstein and Bluthner I can find find virtually nothing about Lipp pianos as they do not appear to have had UK shops or UK-based sales operations. Our piano is extremely well-built - the removers said it was the heaviest piano for it's size that they had come across and it still sounds good.
Bill Kibby

Re: Fritz Willeringhaus/Lipp grand

Post by Bill Kibby »

WIllingerhaus & Co. were importers and retailers, but probaby supplied imported pianos to other firms as well.

1892 My Post Office London Directory lists Willeringhaus & Co. 13 Hamsell Street EC. Sole importers of G. Ad. Ibach, established 1794) & Rich. Lipp & Sohn (established 1831)
1892 My Post Office London Directory also lists Richd. Lipp & Sohn, Pianoforte Manufacturers to the King of Wurtemberg, 13, Hamsell Street, EC. [This is actually the address of Willeringhaus & Co., importers.]
By 1911, RIchard Lipp & Sohn were listed as being at 56 Berners Street, but your label suggests that they were still being "hosted" by Willeringhaus.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
oldchapel

Post by oldchapel »

Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply.
traceyphillips

Post by traceyphillips »

Bill Kibby wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 11:46 WIllingerhaus & Co. were importers and retailers, but probaby supplied imported pianos to other firms as well.

1892 My Post Office London Directory lists Willeringhaus & Co. 13 Hamsell Street EC. Sole importers of G. Ad. Ibach, established 1794) & Rich. Lipp & Sohn (established 1831)
1892 My Post Office London Directory also lists Richd. Lipp & Sohn, Pianoforte Manufacturers to the King of Wurtemberg, 13, Hamsell Street, EC. [This is actually the address of Willeringhaus & Co., importers.]
By 1911, RIchard Lipp & Sohn were listed as being at 56 Berners Street, but your label suggests that they were still being "hosted" by Willeringhaus.
Bravo!
PeteDownSouth

Post by PeteDownSouth »

Hi there,

I also have a Lipp from that store. Made in 1910 by the serial number. About 6ft long, hence a boudoir grand. Was my grandmother's, mother's, now mine. Ironically, I have been researching the companies, both Fritz Willeringhaus, and whoever occupies the address now. Amazingly, I was in London last week (!) and found the building!! All new metal and smoked glass of course, and shut due to Covid-19. But the office next door confirmed they do all kinds of sales, copyright, etc. I've emailed them to ask about any details of my Mum's piano. Hopefully they'll get back when allowed back int o the building. Sadly we had to cut and run back to Australia due to Covid mania, but I await an email. They're called Music Sales these days. Hoping this helps.... Cheers, Peter.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Fritz Willeringhaus was my grand-father and I know that his company had an arrangement with Lipp pianos and imported them from Germany to be the British distributer in London. It's great to hear that some are still going strong!