J Hulbert and sons London advice

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

J Hulbert and sons London advice

Post by MrsJobba »

Hello
I wonder if anyone could offer some advice. When I was 5 ( more than 40 years ago) I inherited an upright piano.
Under the lid it is enscribed J. Hulbert and sons London and inside it has the number 5798

I remember when I was younger someone coming to tune it and saying that it was very old and not many survived the WW1 .

Sadly I am moving house and considering options of what to do. I am unable to take it with me. I would like it to go to someone who would appreciate it as it was my great grandads.

It hasn’t been turned for over 20 years.

Does anyone have any idea of its age ? I’m considering contacting an auction house- but to be honest I’m not even sure if it’s worth enough to be auctioned- I’d have to pay someone to transport it.

I’m in the north east if anyone can offer advice I’d greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Bill Kibby

Re: J Hulbert and sons London advice

Post by Bill Kibby »

I am in Lincolnshire, does that count as North East? James Hulbert was established in 1860, and by 1875 the firm was Hulbert & Sons. Later, there was also Hulbert & Jones. James retired around 1910, but we can't tell you anything about the individual piano just from the name. Are you able to post photos here to show what the WHOLE piano looks like? Here's one that was made by Hulbert around 1877, and sold by Dace.
Attachments
1877~DaceHulbert#2334u.jpg
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MrsJobba »

Thank you, for your reply.

I have tried all night to post a picture but im having no luck.

I have reduced the picture to 50 pix by 50pix and it is only 2kb in size.

I have read your other post about adding it as an attachment.

If I click on attachments, it doesnt bring up the menu that is on your thread. in stead it goes straight into my computers files. If i click on the image it doesn't do anything??

Im not sure what im doing wrong - do you have any advice? thanks
Attachments
piano 2 jpeg.jpg
piano 2 jpeg.jpg (1.51 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MrsJobba »

IS this picture any better?
Attachments
piano 3 jpeg .jpg
MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MrsJobba »

Is this the serial number? it is the only number I can find on the piano?
Attachments
piano 4 jpeg.jpg
MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MrsJobba »

Showing inside
Attachments
piano 5 jpeg.jpg
MrsJobba
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MrsJobba »

Hopefully, those pictures will give some ideas. I am unsure what to do. I did contact our local auction house but they said that they don't sell Pianos.

Do you think I should just put it on gum tree? I have tried google and there does not seem to be any dealers in the area (Sunderland)

I appreciate it needs tuning and probably some restoration work - any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I know that the software for attaching pictures has changed recently, but it is not my website, I am struggling with it myself.
That is the serial number but it doesn't help with this maker, there are no dates available for their numbers.
This is typical of the many Edwardian pianos (my guess is 1902) that are being given away for next to nothing on Ebay and elsewhere. Local auctions in East Anglia struggle to get £20 for them, so I have no answers. I am overloaded with Edwardian pianos, local councils here don't deal with them, so they pass people on to me. Sadly these pieces of history have nowhere to go, so the solution is often to burn them and sell the scrap metal..
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info