How to clean ivory keys?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

hanspiano

How to clean ivory keys?

Post by hanspiano »

Hi,

I've just purchased an upright by B Squires And Son. I want to refurbish it slowly.

It has not been used at all for around 5 years, it was very dirty inside and out when it arrived today.

I've cleaned inside, carefully hoovered out dust bunnies etc but the keys are all pretty dirty. Can anyone give me any guidance on the best way to clean without causing any damage please?

Many thanks.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to clean ivory keys?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Are you sure they are ivory first as Ivory is different from cleaning cellulose keys.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
hanspiano

Post by hanspiano »

Hi Barrie,

thank you for replying. I've been told they're ivory but I wouldn't know how to tell if they're not if that makes sense?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

OK the simplest way for you is go to a chemist and get some 3% hydrogen peroxide. with rubber gloves on using a clean cloth apply a little of the hydrogen peroxide and rub The trick is little and often Don't over soak the cloth Ivory is porous so not too much each time. if posable put the key in Sunlight so that the peroxide will do the trick.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page