Tall Upright or small grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

practice120

Tall Upright or small grand

Post by practice120 »

Hello there,

I have a bit of a dilemma hopefully someone could give me some advice. I learnt piano as a kid, been playing on and off and for the past year, been playing more regularly and 'passionately'. I own a CVP309 and that's what my daughter is learning on. Recently her piano teacher said she needs to practice on an acoustic piano with a firm touch to further develop her finger strength and agility. (She is working at around Gr6-7 level). Therefore it has given me an excellent excuse to purchase our forever piano,but can't decide whether I should get an upright or a small grand to go into my front room (~3.8m x 4m).

I think a room that size should fit a grand that is 170cm? Or is it more realistic to get an upright piano? If my daughter continue with her learning, would there be a day where she would need to practice on a grand piano?

I am not planning to replace this piano and desperately want to make the right decision. My budget is around £10000, could stretch it a bit if required.

Views anyone?

Thank you very much!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Tall Upright or small grand

Post by chrisw »

Grand pianos take up more space and are more expensive. A tall upright is likely to have a richer bass than a short grand. On the other hand a grand is likely to have a faster action making trills and ornaments easier to play.

Have a look at both and see what you like best in terms of the sounds they make and the response of the action. Feurich make good value, quality uprights and grands. Their grand model 161 is within your budget. Also the English piano makers Cavendish probably also make an upright within the budget.
practice120

Post by practice120 »

Thank you very much for your sensible advice!

My heart wants a grand, my head however is telling me upright!
Feurich 162 or Kawai GL30, views?

I haven't played a Cavendish before, might visit a dealer to try that out.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I have the same head and heart problem !

With regard to your question asking for views on the Feurich or the Kawai GL30, I would need to try out those particular models before answering although both those brands have good reputations. I have tried a Kawai GL10 in a local shop a few weeks ago and thought I would prefer to hold onto my Kemble upright. I have played a very nice almost 40 year old Kawai KG-2 grand which I think may be the equivalent of today's GX models.

I have also played a Cavendish baby grand which was delightful and would fully expect their uprights to be prepared with the same amount of care. Cavendish pianos have a web site if you wish to know more about them.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Almost always a longer thinner string will make a better noise that a shorter fatter one. Personally I would always favour a tall upright over a little fat grand. In fact I did - can't accommodate a grand unless we eat off it or sleep on it!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
practice120

Post by practice120 »

I agree! Some small grands are too small and probably its main function is not really to be a musical instrument. Do you know in terms of string length, what size grand would equal string length of a 130cm upright? Maybe since space is always an issue in the UK, I find a good second hand tall upright is harder to come by than a decent 5'6" grand.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Found this info with a Google search;

"There is no given standard for string lengths within a given piano size range. A typical 122–123 cm vertical will have a #1 bass string length ranging from approximately 1170 mm up to approximately 1370 mm. The #1 bass string length in a 165 cm grand can vary from approximately 1100 mm up to approximately 1250 mm."
1 Jan 2009
Difference in string length upright & grand bass strings? - Piano ...
forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/193235.html

In addition another search suggested that a Yamaha U3 upright which is 131 cm high has a bass string with a speaking length of 120cm.
practice120

Post by practice120 »

Thank you, that's really interesting information, so many different variables! I guess my way forward is to keep looking for both and choose the one I fall in love with first! Exciting times!
practice120

Post by practice120 »

I have just come across this wonderful post, it basically discussed most of my dilemmas.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads. ... 106/1.html
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and I bet you're more confused than ever! :D I think the advice to play everything you can lay your hands on and to buy the piano you've played and like a lot, NOT just the same model, is the best advice. Every piano is different, even in the mass-produced factory made models and the one you buy online because it's cheaper won't necessarily sound or play the same as the one you loved in a showroom.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
practice120

Post by practice120 »

Yes.. Totally confused! I am going to try out the Feurich next week. Thank you very much for all your valuable opinions.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Good luck. Please let us know what you think of the Feurich.