Help buying a Yamaha C5

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

colcha

Help buying a Yamaha C5

Post by colcha »

I have found a 2009 Yamaha C5 through a private seller and would really appreciate some advice.

I had a piano technician (a very experienced Yamaha authorised repairer) go over the whole piano and his feedback was that the piano has been very lightly used and is in near new condition both internally and cosmetically. He would have no hesitation in recommending it.

I however have a couple of reservations:

1. the piano is brighter / louder than I would like (especially compared to the new C3X and C5X models that I have tried which IMHO are ideal tone wise). The piano technician is confident that he can address these issues through voicing / needling. He commented positively on the underlying tone and sustain of each note. I am hesitant to buy a piano in the hope that the piano technician can voice it to my preference; and

2. many of the keys are heavier than I would like (up to 60g) but the piano technician feels that with some minor regulation this will improve. I would prefer a weight closer to 55g but there is no guarantee that the piano tuner can get there without significant work.

In my area, it is rare for such a young piano to come up for sale and I don’t want to miss a good opportunity especially as the price is attractive. However, it makes me very nervous buying a piano based on what might be as opposed to how it currently is.

Any advice is appreciated!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Help buying a Yamaha C5

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Without hearing, playing and seeing the condition of the hammers, only general advice can be offered here. As your technician has had first-hand experience playing the piano, and (hopefully) removing the action to inspect the face of the hammers - your decision may probably lie there.

1. Re-toning can be hit and miss if addressing hammers in-situ. Personally, I would remove all the hammers (in the workshop), reface them, pre-needle/ pre-tone them on the bench, then after assembly & tuning, tone them fully in the piano - about 2 days job. You will never know the finished tone until the job is done, and only improvements can be made on 2nd hand hammers.

2. Touch weight should be about 52g in the bass, then gradually lighter to about 47g in the treble - touch weight can never be the same throughout, due to the bass hammers being heavier (and larger), and the repetition springs being stronger in tension/ thicker gauge of wire used in the bass. Also, don't overlook key easing. Touch weight can only be approximate on used pianos, and shouldn't be messed about with radically. I presume that the touch weight was measured with proper key gram weights, and the sustain pedal pressed down (dampers off) - for an accurate reading.

For some general information about hammers/ refacing / toning, see
http://www.aatuners.com/piano-hammers.html

Hope that helps
Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
colcha

Post by colcha »

Thanks for taking the time to post your helpful reply Colin.

The touch weight of some of the keys in the treble were up to 60g measured in the manner that you have suggested.

Given that I am planning to keep this piano for the rest of my days, I have decided that it is too much of a risk to spend a significant amount of money on a piano in the hope that I can voice it to my liking. The search continues...
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Perhaps you could point us in its direction. Might be a good buy for someone.

MV