Yamaha U3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ross

Yamaha U3

Post by ross »

Hello,

I'm new here so I wondered if someone could help give me some information about my piano.

It is a UX30B1 serial number 4547504 it has a very wide and high/deep music desk that comes out from the centre of the piano and held in place by 2 clasps that open behind the music desk and lock into situ, the front key fall folds in half and then back in under the front of the piano. I haven't heard of another one of these type of Yamaha even after trawling the internet, does anyone know anything about this particular model, and what might be the modern version of this piano.

ross
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha U3

Post by Colin Nicholson »

If the serial number is correct - and taken from the gold cast frame (near the tuning pins), then it suggests a date of 1988.
What you describe about the music rest & lid was very common then - nothing new to us! .... and that was the design back in the 80's.

We cannot comment on its modern counterpart unless we can see it - so if you send some photos, we may be able to help. Photos should be JPG and clear and taken with NOTHING on the piano nor any clutter around it....

1. Whole piano with keyboard lid open, showing keys & name, legs (no stool)
2. Photo of the serial number/ logos/ decals/ model number/ crests etc
3. Photo of the complete mechanism with front panel & keyboard lid removed - showing hammers, strings and other parts. (Eg.... later models were fitted with plastic capstans - at the back of the keys)

Anything that you describe in words here, will need to be translated into a photo -

Even the U1 and U3 Yamaha are difficult to separate.... basically one of two different designs of the casework such as a bevelled front rail, one has a key & lock - but basically the mechanism & interior are very similar. More modern Yamahas also have plastic/ carbon fibre parts such as the lever jacks - Kawai also have small modifications. However, ANY piano that is about 20 years old (or older) can sound a bit duff due to poor hammer voicing/ hammer felt becoming very dry & brittle - hence tinny sounding, worn butt springs and much more. Older yamahas usually had 2 pedals - the more modern have a 3rd middle practise pedal. Also, more modern pianos sometimes have the "soft fall" mechanism - so the lid cannot slam down.

Although parts & materials eventually wear away, my main concern would be the length & quality of the bass strings & their sound; how the sound changes from bass to treble, and checking the hammers are in good condition - the parts that hit the strings. Afterall this is what effectively makes the sound.

Hope that helps
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

Yamaha U3 Designed for the experienced pianist and professional musician. Upright pianos with outstanding tone, touch and durability.
An expansive soundboard and acoustic chamber give the 131 cm U3 extended power and projection, with the peerless tonal and expressive control of the legendary Yamaha action.
Yamaha U Series upright pianos have long been a leading choice for educational institutions, professional musicians and discriminating home pianists.
And Extra-wide music desks provide plenty of room for sheet music.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

rocklandpiano wrote:Yamaha U3 Designed for the experienced pianist and professional musician. Upright pianos with outstanding tone, touch and durability.
An expansive soundboard and acoustic chamber give the 131 cm U3 extended power and projection, with the peerless tonal and expressive control of the legendary Yamaha action.
Yamaha U Series upright pianos have long been a leading choice for educational institutions, professional musicians and discriminating home pianists.
And Extra-wide music desks provide plenty of room for sheet music.
You sound like a Yamaha salesman :D

Not to worry, I own a Yamaha (C3) and love it!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Sounds a bit cut and paste to me.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

UX30 sounds like a Japanese grey import to me. Not that that should make much difference on a 20+year piano, if the technician gives it the OK.