Kemble Classic 1981-1990

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkE

Kemble Classic 1981-1990

Post by MarkE »

Hi
I'm after a little advice on the above piano , to start things off i have no clue about pianos 'etc.

The above piano belonged to my Grandad whom purchased it from Chappell in 1983 its been sitting in my Nans house for years now since he died (15 years) unfortunatly my Nan is unable to live on her own anymore so she has moved into her Daughters house :) , the house (my Nans) is being sold and we need some advice on whom maybe interested in buying the piano as we do not have the room too keep it or even auctions that can store the unit for sale.

Its a shame it has to go as its a lovely looking unit.

Hope someone can help

Best Regards
Mark
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kemble Classic 1981-1990

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Well its the only piano Kemble made with an HB action in the 80s it is an 85 note model when HB stopped trading Kemble stopped making them

They are a nice compact piano they sold a lot in the North of England. hold there tuning quite well and for the size quite a powerful piano

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Mark

Firstly, Kemble is a good make - not brilliant money, but it also depends on its condition, and if stood for many years in cold/damp - the mechanism may need alot of work - so wont sell for much now.

There is a section on this forum that deals with Pianos for sale - click on "Board index" and find it near the top.

If you want an estimated appraisal here about how best to describe the piano when selling.... (never just write "wooden piano" !!!!) - we can give you an idea.... however we need to see a photo of the piano - clear & focussed (not sideways either) - and also a photo of the serial number. Lift the front panel off (clips inside) and you will see a serial number near the tuning pins - this will give us a rough indication of its age.

If not sure how to upload photos, go to the first post at the top of "Piano Advice" and follow the instructions there.

Then you need to decide whether to sell privately, auction, or though the trade.

Hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkE

Post by MarkE »

Hi
Thanks for the advice all, the piano was not sitting in a damp enviroment at all (front room). Would probably need a tune . I'll grab some photo's as requested and have a read like you said .

Regards
Mark
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Would DEFINITELY need SEVERAL tunings after 15 years. Get it tuned once to make it sound better, but the buyer will need to have it tuned a few times close together if they want it at concert pitch.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I purchased my Kemble Classic new in 1994. I would be interested to learn more about HB actions.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

chrisw wrote:I purchased my Kemble Classic new in 1994. I would be interested to learn more about HB actions.
Kemble used Yamaha Actions but because the Classic was only 85 note they had to use the British made Herrburger Brooks action, Langer Model see Herrburger Brooks History

The Herrburger Brooks action was used by many piano makers around the world

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

HB stands for Herrburger Brooks. These are the action mechanism & key makers.
Around the time your piano was built, HB only had a few years to go before they closed down. Originally in London, then moved to Long Eaton, Derbyshire around 1920 - then they changed hands to Langer in 1999.

I was lucky enough to visit them in 1997. The machinery was fully automated, and aswell as producing all the wooden parts, machinery also created the bridle wires, check wires etc .... however, they still make actions, but not hammers.

Your action will be a standard bridle tape/ under-damped mechanism - the bridle tapes are usually red tipped, but some were green. Also will have a standard back-check and escapement like most modern actions.

Send a photo if you like ....
AA Piano Tuners UK

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Many thanks for your replies. I may send in a photograph when we next download my wife's camera. The action on my Kemble Classic is labelled Langer 100. Both actions and keys appear to be made from the same type of wood. It is very white in appearance.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The action parts are made from Hornbeam and the keys are Basswood aprox 4500 components make up the Langer upright action .

The keys on a Classic are sloped down to accommodate the action strike line, so if you take the key out there is a wedge shaped bit at the front up-to just before the chase this is for plastic key top to sits on so that they are level to the pianist.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Once again, thank you for this fascinating information. I should have said in an earlier post that my piano is located in northern England, indeed north Lancashire. When I purchased it I considered 88 key Korean pianos but I am pleased that I bought British. I was concerned about only having 85 keys but the vendor assured me I would never need to use the missing three, and I haven't ! The opening of Grieg's concerto does need the top A. Is there a purpose for the three top notes, say during tuning ?

Over the years I often think about upgrading to a smallish grand, but I am very attached to this British piano. I was heartened recently to hear that British piano making had resumed in a workshop between Skipton and Harrogate.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

The only piece of music I have come across that needs the very top A# (A#86) is Bob Geldof's "I dont like Mondays" .... it starts with a glissando marked 15ve... however, only ever used top C88 for improvisation/ arpeggios etc. Then again.... at college, I learnt a Dohnanyi Rhapsody (No 3 in C major) .... and it requires a G.... below bottom A1 !! - so I have to just miss it out. Some grands (Bosendorfer) have 92 keys going down to F.... and heard of a 97 key grand, but not seen one.
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkE

Post by MarkE »

Ok attached images of piano , any info on auctions that can collect and store would be helpfull.
Attachments
WP_000002 (2).jpg
WP_000001 (2).jpg
WP_000004.jpg
WP_000001 (2).jpg
WP_000000 (3).jpg
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

If your selling it ring 3 dealers and take the best price. Ignore what people will tell you its worth UNLESS they say they will put that sum of notes in the palm of your hand within a week and collect. Then they collect, you stand back and count the cash. Once you get into some one else taking it to auction houses and paying for storage you are losing money hand over fist. Keep YOUR costs to a minimum.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Exactly correct advice.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Photographs of Kemble Classic Herrburger Brooks action.
CRW 2.JPG
CRW 1.JPG
CRW 3.JPG
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

MarkE wrote:Hi
I'm after a little advice on the above piano , to start things off i have no clue about pianos 'etc.

The above piano belonged to my Grandad whom purchased it from Chappell in 1983 its been sitting in my Nans house for years now since he died (15 years) unfortunatly my Nan is unable to live on her own anymore so she has moved into her Daughters house :) , the house (my Nans) is being sold and we need some advice on whom maybe interested in buying the piano as we do not have the room too keep it or even auctions that can store the unit for sale.

Its a shame it has to go as its a lovely looking unit.

Hope someone can help

Best Regards
Mark
Best U.K.built piano in recent times,nice tone,size and sought after.