Yamaha S6BB

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Fogdoki

Yamaha S6BB

Post by Fogdoki »

Stumbled across this one in my local piano emporium.

Not having the funds for a S&S Model B I've always considered the Yammy S6 to be the next best thing- so I became quite excited!

I was struck by the price of the instrument in question-£16K - particularly as it is only 2 years old! The sales chap informed my that it may have belonged to a school or college, possibly somewhere in the West country.

I understand that the shop had had their techy in to give it a thorough 'going over'.

What struck my, however, was the condition of the strings. All of the steel strings were covered in rust and the copper bass strings had lost all of their sheen, not something I would have expected from and instrument of this calibre and age. I also understands that the technician had to replace several hammers.

What could possibly have happened? Was the instrument kept outside? At that price worth a punt ( not that I've got room for it)?

http://postimage.org/gallery/il5pq3y/
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha S6BB

Post by Colin Nicholson »

£16K does sound quite high for that piano, but it also depends on location - in London, maybe. Piano prices are also "price built" depending on if its a high street shop, just selling pianos alone etc.

For about the same money, you could also buy a Kawai RX2 grand - brand new!!

I would still class 2 years as new in my eyes, but the rusty & tarnished strings would be a major concern for me. A piano doesn't need to live outside to suffer these symptoms - and I doubt if it was left outside.... but if left in a cold & damp hall, church.... that would be enough to tarnish the strings.... humidity level was probably very high.... so for that price & condition, leave well alone!

Sometimes broken hammers is "human error" .... extreme hard playing, or some dafty may have not removed the action carefully enough - catching a few hammer heads as its pulled out (usually caused by resting fingers on the keys).

It would most certainly need an independent assessment by a well known piano technician, and not 'word of mouth'.....

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I don't think 16k is a lot for a 2 year old S6, but going on these pictures, I doubt whether it is only 2 years old. It looks more like 10 years old and it looks like it's had a lot of use.

Might be wise to give it a swerve to be honest.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Are you trying to tell us something? :lol:
Sydney wrote:7' Concert Grand Made from the Finest Materials

An instrument of rare perfection and quality. Yamaha has used the very finest materials on this 7' grand piano. The S-Series was redesigned in 2002, the year that marked Yamaha's centennial.

Refinements in specifications of the copper-wound strings increased purity and harmony in the bass strings. Bridge materials deliver a warmer and richer sound. Double casters improve mobility for moving the piano accross a stage or room. Designs in the legs, music desk, lyre, plate and inner rim provide a more distinctive and elegant apprearance.

Yamaha has taken input from professional musicians and sophisticated research have gone into improvements. Advances in technology lead to more cost-efficient techniques and only improve the overall experience for the user. A global network offers Yamaha customers additional advantages of sales and support throughout the entire world.

Yamaha respresents an unsurpassed standard of affordable excellence. Over 100 years of experience and refinement goes into constructing these instruments. Knowlege and technology have improved to give the customer the ultimate Yamaha experience.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Did you check the date serial number? I had a customer who thought they had a 15 year old Yam, I said it was 1965, it was a local firm, now bust, and recommend by their piano teacher(probably taking a huge commision) :roll:
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

athomik wrote:Are you trying to tell us something? :lol:
This 'sydney' fella has posted here before. I remembered disapproving two of his posts before because all he was doing was copying sections from websites and pasting them here. I've deleted his post and banned him - nuisance!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

It was a strange post from Sydney, since most of us know what an S6BB is, and the question was about one particular piano, not a new model.

What a mamzer. :piano;
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Poor quality spammer.
You'd think they'd take more pride in their work than to just copy & paste from website. You can picture them in a room full of 50 other spammers working on cheap little webbooks in India with a boss man training them to copy & paste vaguely related text to forums all over the internet 24/7. Working for about £5 per day.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Poor quality spammer.
You'd think they'd take more pride in their work than to just copy & paste from website. You can picture them in a room full of 50 other spammers working on cheap little webbooks in India with a boss man training them to copy & paste vaguely related text to forums all over the internet 24/7. Working for about £5 per day.
Good money if you can find it :lol:
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.