W. Hoffmann by Bechstein

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

RachDue

W. Hoffmann by Bechstein

Post by RachDue »

Hi,

Looking for a piano I tried a W. Hoffmann today, in particular Vision v.112. I really liked it and I was surprised for the quality/price ratio. I used to have a Yamaha U1 that I had to sell when I moved and the dealer told me that in his opinion the W. Hoffmann Vision v.112 is better at a much better price. My impression was actually the same: the sound is warm and the mechanic is very nice. He also claims that they are made in Germany (with some parts from Czech Republic). Do you know these pianos? I would really apreciate any opinion.

Beatriz.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: W. Hoffmann by Bechstein

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I am not fully up to date with these pianos, nor have I tuned one, but I presume you are referring to the new W. Hoffmann pianos? Usually finished in polyester (gloss finish).? If so, most new pianos are nice to play, and sound good.... its all a personal taste,,,, however, the real test of knowing a quality piano made from Germany alone - and all the parts made in Germany will reflect in the price. Anyone 'claiming' a piano is wholley made in Germany is simple guess work - and no doubt lures the customer. Many pianos are claimed to have 'German parts' .... but usually these are just the hammer heads!

The best way that some of us here can be of help is if you provide us with the following information:-

1. Photo or video of the piano, including the mechanism.
2. Is it a grand or upright piano? (assuming upright for now?)
3. What is the price of the piano in UK pound sterling??
4. If a grand, what is the length in inches/feet?? Upright, what is height?
5. Which part or parts are made in Germany?

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
RachDue

Post by RachDue »

Well, this is the piano:
http://bechstein.com/en/upright-and-gra ... v-112.html
It's a new upright, the price is 4400 UK pound sterling.
I can't find info on the mechanism, and according to the price I doubt it's Renner. Any idea?

Thanks.
Beatriz.
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

I have not played one but this page provides useful info:

http://www.marksonpianos.com/acoustic/h ... efault.htm

On that page it states it is made in the Czech Republic. The Piano Buyer also states they are made in the Czech Republic.

FWIW my questions would be:

1) Are you sure that a 112cm piano will give you adequate bass (a U1 is 121cm)? From the above website I think a Hoffman T122 would be a better comparison with the U1. If the dealer did not at least discuss this with you I would suggest you treat his or her advice with some degree of scepticism.

2) How does the Hoffman compare in price with an equivalent Japanese model from Kawai or Yamaha?

3) How does the Hoffman compare with the Bechstein Academy series, both in terms of price and design/construction?

4) Is resale value important to you or not.

Robert
RachDue

Post by RachDue »

Just another question... the vario system (silent system) is available for 1500 pounds.The dealer told me I loose about 3 mm off stroke in the hammer instead of the 6mm of Yamaha, but they feel the same way to play. Do you know the vario system of Bechstein? Any recommendation? Thanks.

Beatriz