Kawai K2

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Hansel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kawai K2

Post by Hansel »

Hi, Does anyone know where Kawai manufacture the K2? Is it Japan, Indonesia, or somewhere else altogether?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kawai K2

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Kawai are manufactured in Japan, then shipped to the UK (and other countries) to be distributed to various outlets. In the UK, they usually arrived boxed, then checked over, re-regulated and tuned before being dispatched.
I visited Kawai (UK) last year, and very impressed with their team of experts.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The uprights K15-E, K2 and K3 are manufactured in Indonesia. The K5, K6 and K8 are made in Japan. Most of Yamaha and all Kemble pianos are also made in Indonesia. Indonesia is becoming a large piano manufacturing area due to the high skills and relative low wages compared to Japan and Europe. The Kawai pianos are all prepared to a high standard and then again prepared in the UK. The grands are overseen by their resident Piano Japanese Master Piano Technician. The K15-E does not have the Carbon abs action, only the abs action which was in use for a long time before the Millenniunm 3 upright action.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

As customers demand cheaper prices, manufacturers have no choice but to use cheaper materials and cheaper labour from countries like China and Indonesia who have shocking reputations for looking after their employees. Child labour is rife in Indonesia with over 6.5million kids estimated to be working. Source:
http://www.atimes.com/se-asia/BF24Ae01.html

I'm sure Yamaha and Kawai don't employ children but you can see what sort of country those pianos are coming from. The focus is on low price instead of high quality.

The Yamaha B series uprights are from Indonesia
Sussexpianos has just listed which Kawai pianos are from Indonesia

The Yamaha U1 and U3 etc pianos are Japanese and are superior to the B1, B2 and B3 pianos
Kawai's Japanese uprights are also superior to their Indonesian pianos.

You can see the difference in the prices. If the Indonesian pianos were as good as the Japanese ones, they would shut those expensive Japanese factories down and move all production to Indonesia. Customers would be thrilled as the price of a professional grade upright piano would tumble from £7000+ to under £3000. Sales would rocket! Everyone would be happy.

But of course, the truth lies elsewhere...

You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap quality piano at a cheap price then buy something from China or Indonesia. If you want something of a high quality at a high price buy a new Japanese piano. If you want something of a high quality but a moderate price then buy a reconditioned professional grade Japanese piano. There are hundreds and hundreds of them in stock all over the UK. Ask a technician to help you sniff out the best ones (it's very easy to do) and you won't look back.

Also, on a completely different note, every new piano that gets made and sold puts an old piano into the landfill. Let's stop making disposable pianos in China and Indonesia and start recognising the lasting quality of a 20-40 year old Japanese piano.

I only meant to type 2 sentences but I end up waffling on, SORRY!!
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
bartgovaert
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by bartgovaert »

K2 is a nice piano, I bought one a few years ago, and very happy with it. My only regret is that I did not buy the K3.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The K3 is a nice piano, a very nice bass. The K2 is very popular for its size, I also like the walnut satin.
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Kawai K2 is an excellent piano for a domestic environment,the Kawai K6 is in a class of its own at its price point.warm,full rounded tone.
jonmark

Post by jonmark »

K-2 Professional Upright
The 45” K-2 introduces the impressive qualities that have made the Kawai K Series of professional uprights so highly-respected around the world. Elegant lines and delicate case accents enhance its outward beauty; while its excellent tone and exclusive Millennium III Upright Action combine to provide a level of professional performance that will surpass any other piano in its class
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Spam innit.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
vernon

Post by vernon »

don't think so.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
donal

Post by donal »

K-2 Professional Upright
The 45” K-2 introduces the impressive qualities that have made the Kawai K Series of professional uprights so highly-respected around the world. Elegant lines and delicate case accents enhance its outward beauty; while its excellent tone and exclusive Millennium III Upright Action combine to provide a level of professional performance that will surpass any other piano in its class

* Millennium III Action™ with Carbon Fiber
* Ultra-Slow Fallboard Closing System
* Brass Front Casters (Single)
* Height Adjustable Bench
vernon

Post by vernon »

I didn't know about the bench! Must be American again,Bloodnok.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Yep, def. American, probably without padding as well! Us British like padding.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sussexpianos wrote:Yep, def. American, probably without padding as well! Us British like padding.
but not when we are playing Rugby jkl

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page