Steinbeg or Steinberg?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

newatthis

Steinbeg or Steinberg?

Post by newatthis »

I'm living in Brisbane, Australia, and looking to buy a secondhand piano. I've seen one that's a Steinbeg Berlin, expressly made for hot climates. Can you tell me anything about this. My initial research only shows "Steinberg", not "Steinbeg"' which is what is clearly printed on the piano. Is this a derivative? The people selling have little info.
It is overstrung and doesn't have an overdamper - not sure if this is relevant to these pianos. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Bill Kibby

Re: Steinbeg or Steinberg?

Post by Bill Kibby »

I would guess that it is either a Steinberg that has had a new name made up incorrectly when it was repolished, or somebody has made up a name that imitates Steinberg.

Many people spend far too much time and effort worrying about names, when what they should do is consider what the instrument is like, how it sounds, how it feels to play.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Steinbeg, that's a daft name.
I've heard some daft piano names in my time but this one is the funniest.

Steindong. I might make a piano called Steindong. Surely that would be popular with customers.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

As long as it has STEIN in it somewhere, it is sure to succeed. How about MARKSTEIN or GOODWINSTEIN?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Steinwin
Steinkibby

:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Stein is a German word meaning stone, and in the same way that many British surnames begin or end with “stone”, so it is in Germany. For example, the 1928 publication Musique Adresses Universel lists 87 separate entries for piano and music firms whose names begin with Stein, some of which are shown below. Such names are also frequently used to give false German status to otherwise cheap and boring commercial London pianos, although some are genuine German pianos with non-genuine names. I'm amazed that no-one seems to have made a "Steinstein" piano. Quite apart from all the ones that end in "Stein", Piano History Centre files include…

STEIN (Andreas)
STEIN (Johann Andreas) Augsburg
STEIN (Karl)
STEIN (Matthaus André) Vienna
STEIN (Nanette & Matthuas) Vienna
STEIN (Richard Alfred Grohman) London
STEINBACH (Alex.)
STEINBACH (H.) Berlin
STEINBACH, China
STEINBACH, KOREA
STEINBACH, TURIN, ITALY
STEINBERG (Wilh.) Eisenberg
STEINBERG by ROGERS
STEINBERG, Berlin
STEINBERG, USA
STEINBURG
STEINER (JOSEPH) BERLIN
STEINERT
STEINGRABER
STEINHART & Co.
STEINHAUER
STEINHOFF (Gerhardt) Germany
STEINHOFF, SONS & Muir, London
STEINMAN
STEINMAN & SOHN
STEINMANN (Wilhelm) GERMANY
STEINMAYER by Hicks?
STEINMAYER, Germany (See also Steinmeyer)
STEINMETZ, Berlin
STEINMETZ, London
STEINMEYER, Germany
STEINTELSER, BERLIN
STEINWAY
STEINWEG NACHF. Germany
STEINWEG, Germany
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Following up on this old post. I am in Victoria Australia and also have a "Steinbeg" piano "Expressly made for hot Climates". Can any of your experts find out any info on the odd name that we now have two of? You may ridicule the name but there is obviously several made now.
So who made them and when?
Thanks,
Leon