J. Herbert Marshall, Leicester

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

millie1

J. Herbert Marshall, Leicester

Post by millie1 »

Hi I am not sure where to post this so apologies if I have used the wrong forum. I am interested in buying a piano, it is an upright J Herbet Marshall and the no is 3518. There are aprox 10 slightly chipped keys, would that affect the playing quality? The piano is £115 and I am not sure if this is a good price for it or not.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: J. Herbert Marshall, Leicester

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

It's PROBABLY a pile of junk but if you could upload some photos showing the inside and outside of the piano then some of us will be willing to offer our opinion on this. Don't spend a penny before doing this as pianos for sale at £100 are usually considerably over-priced.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

When you ask if the chipped keys will affect the playing quality, what level of playing quality are you expecting?

Robert
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The numbers dont mean anything.... but could be your next lottery numbers!

A piano will play with chipped keys, and even if the key tops are missing or badly chipped. They can be repaired (and as we speak, I am repairing some chipped celluloid key tops now)...... a quick & free solution is to just get your piano tuner to file the key lip flat.. or have the chipped section cut away (may cost).... or have the entire white key tops replaced. They wont affect the way the piano plays, but might affect your technique as a pianist as you sheer the end of your finger off!!

Listen to Mark!! £100 will probably be a torture cabinet disguised as a piano!! They do look nice, but may not be a musical instrument any more.... have it checked out first.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

It must be old. I learned to play on a nice Sir Herbert Marshall, Sons and Rose which was I guess 1920s. The piano under discussion seems to be pre knighthood or sons (and Rose).

TBH the chances of it being any good at all are very slim.

MV