Alstran upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mick_bayliss

Alstran upright

Post by mick_bayliss »

Hi - anyone know anything about this brand? I'm a piano novice and have the opportunity to buy a 1935, recently (2 years ago) professionally restrung upright Alstran. Can't find anything online about them (literally NO reference) which I imagine isn't a good sign... the model in question is mahogany and looks in decent condition in the large photograph I've seen, but before I travel to see/hear it, does anyone have any knowledge of/advice regarding Alstan?
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Alstran upright

Post by NewAge »

The experts should be along shortly to give their advise, but it's not a name that I can recall ever hearing or reading about.
Also can you advise how many keys it has. Is it over or underdamped, straight or cross-strung?
Always wise to get any used piano checked-out by a tuner/tech before purchase.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

What is the asking price?
Can you upload some photos of the inside and outside of the piano? We can give a very rough valuation that way but for a specific valuation you'll need to hire a local technician to help you.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
mick_bayliss

Post by mick_bayliss »

This is the only pic I have, but shows how many keys and general exterior condition (not too bad). Asking price is around £200...
This is the only pic I have, but shows how many keys and general exterior condition (not too bad). Asking price is around £200...
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

The obvious question is why the current owner bothered getting it restrung?? Presumably that cost more than the asking price and more than it was ever going to be worth....

Robert
Johnkie
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Johnkie »

Sadly, the photo doesn't tell us very much. The name is most likely just a name that had been applied and bears no relationship to the manufacturer. If indeed, it was re-strung 2 years ago, it would have cost considerably more than the current asking price ..... a set of replacement bass strings and fitting alone, would cost more than that !

Without detailed photographs of the inner workings it is impossible to give any idea as to whether it's worth even the cost of travel to try it out. Without a doubt, the best course of action would be to have an inspection undertaken by a professional tuner/technician that is local to where the piano is.
Concert Tuner & Technician for 45+ years - North East UK
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I would be very careful about this one! Re-strung...... and only for £200!! - NAH! sounds dodgy - is this a private sale?. Not sure here, but it looks straight-strung by the left hand key block. A photo of the insides will confirm.

I would definitely get the piano checked over and ask a tuner to attempt to tune it. Restringing (and re-pinning) and old piano like this with an 70 yr old wrest plank may spell danger. You would also assume that the dampers have been replaced if restrung - but if its over-damped, and looks like a bird cage inside.... (ahem) - approach with caution.....

Looks tidy enough, but if the name was known - should retail over £1K at least.

Try all the notes and check to make sure the piano sounds in tune....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

Retail over £ 1kl !!!?

You must be barmy.
More like £1.00
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk