advice what TO BUY:Yamaha UX-3 ,Yamaha W102 or ESSExeup123

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

yiota

advice what TO BUY:Yamaha UX-3 ,Yamaha W102 or ESSExeup123

Post by yiota »

Hi, I am new to the forum .congratulations to everyone; I find the contributions really helpful. What about me? My 12 years old daughter after playing for 4 years a really cheap used piano called Richter –good to start with , until you see that your child is really interested in piano -is seeking a new one with a good sound. We went to the same piano provider who can take back the old piano and we can buy another one , subtracting out the money once paid , for that.
The three option we have and I desperately need your opinion are: a)Yamaha UX-3 (1.31m) price ( after bargain and taking the old piano back) 4000 Euros -manufactured 20 years ago , but in use only 4 years according to piano dealer
b) Yamaha W102(height 1.31 m)29 years old but in use about 4 years- 3.500 Euros
and a brand new Essex EUP123 -5000euros.
In all these I really need to put a silent system extra cost 1000euro.
The used pianos are in very good condition and I really trust the piano dealer. The Essex is beyond my budget, but our grandmother may be willing to contribute for the extra money if it is really good to have a brand new piano and will make the difference.
I forgot to mention the piano dealer gives a twenty years warranty with used pianos and a ten years resale back with the same price.
So what do you advice me? I am not familiar with pianos- and when we visited the shop my daughter liked the Yamaha W102 and the Essex. But i am really afraid of the many years of the used pianos.
:piano; Thanks you so much all in advance
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: advice what TO BUY:Yamaha UX-3 ,Yamaha W102 or ESSExeup1

Post by piano heads »

ESSEX for me my friend.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Although you have said your daughter has been playing for 4 years, you have not mentioned her standard on the piano? A good age to start is at eight - nice 1, and if your daughter has done any piano exams, and (for example) followed the ABRSM piano syllabus, at the age of 12, she should be about Grade 3 standard on the piano? - and about grade 2-3 theory of music.

So depending on her 'grade' and standard, if she is having lessons, it is quite common for a piano teacher to meet you at the shop & try out the pianos you have been looking at. At this level, any one of the 3 would be OK, but assuming she is to continue with the grades - maybe leave the 29 year old behind! (W102). When your daughter reaches around Grade 5 - 6 standard, then the quality of the piano will then 'kick in' - i.e. good repetition of the mechanism (well regulated & good hammer butt springs)/ nice tone (hammers)/ pedals & dampers working efficiently (dampers lifting off together & good damper springs). The mechanism will also need to be very responsive to quick scale/ arpeggio passages, ornamentation (trills).... for the future years to come.

However, if non-exam status, and just playing for fun - spin a coin!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Equally boring (zzzz...yawn) just being able to utter 5 words, and nothing to support or back up your recommendation.... nothing personal of course, just an opinion. Anything further to say, or snide comments.... by all means pls PM me or direct it onto the technician's forum
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I'd go with either of the Yamahas. The Essex (designed by Steinway) is Chinese made isn't it? Whereas the Boston line (also designed by Steinway) are Japanese. Both Yamahas are Japanese built and are genuinely professional grade pianos, built to last and built to be brilliant. Is the W102 a brown piano by any chance? I've had a couple of those and found them good. The UX-3 will be fine too. Check that they've had new loop cords and that they look clean and tidy inside.

20 year warranty??!!!?!?!?! That's a long time. What does it cover?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
yiota

Post by yiota »

really thanks for your time to answering me,.
Concerning your question if the Yamaha w102 is a brown piano , yes it is, you can see it in Youtube. this kind of piano in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_mGHRoucI
i think i ;ll go for that , because between the two Yamahas my daughter liked the sound of W102. The salesman , told us that in the part where you put your book to look at while playing(i don;t know the word of that part in English) ,in the right and left of it, it makes like a loudspeaker leaving the sound of the piano to come out from this part , too. I don;t know if you can understand me. but if you have understood me, i wonder if this is an old technique and maybe newer panos are technically more improved?

about the 20 years guarantee , i ll ask again and i will give you details
thanks again
yiota
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

That thing about the loudspeaker coming out around the music stand is just a gimmick. It isn't a major consideration. But the W102 is a nice piano and would serve you very well for decades to come.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh and has it had new loops cords fitted? It really should have had as they snap after about 30 years. Ask the seller for proof of new loop cords :)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

The new Kawai K6 have these different sized holes drilled into the front board, covered by panelling to allow the sound to come out. I think they refer to them as "acoustic ports" !! - posh term, but I think just for a better selling technique.
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Exactly. It's just a marketing gimmick to give the salesmen something concrete to shout about, "This pianos has acoustic vents for superior tone madame"
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

Better to buy new, Essex pianos are Steinway designed and come with 10 year warranties from an appointed Steinway dealership,peace of mind,the Kawai range are excellent also,why would you buy a old Yamaha which has been heavily used in Asia and tarted up to be sold in Europe,you are buying the brand not the quality.
yiota

Post by yiota »

good morning to everyone and many thanks for your time to answer me.
Guess what. I went yesterday to the shop, having decided to buy the used W-102 and it was SOLD!!!ON SATURDAY...
SO in search again... they offer me a used Yamaha W-101b(25 years) in the same price as the w102, , and that seems the same as the W102, but the color is different: is the reddish glossy colour . the problem is I do not like the colour...
I think that i may buy ,\at last\ the new Essex EUP123- the piano dealer opened the inside it to me...he told me that it is made inside from very fine material , coming from Germany , but built in China.He really promoted it to me.
the money difference is 1500Euros. what do you think?
thanks you again very much for your contribution.
yiota
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

A large Japanese upright will beat a new Chinese piano in the following areas:

- better action
- better tone
- holds value far better

However, the ultimate test is to sit and play both pianos for a good 20 minutes each and go with the one that you enjoy playing the most. Ignore what you've read, what you've been told, ignore what the dealer says, ignore the manufacturer blurb about German parts and just sit and play the pianos and buy the one that is the most fun to play. If possible take a piano technician with you and perhaps also your piano teacher. Both will have good input to help you make a good decision.
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

As mentioned previously buy the Essex as its new comes with 10 year warranty,peace of mind and the dealer must have a excellent reputation if Steinway have appointed them to represent them in your area.Too many ifs and buts buying used Yamaha pianos stay clear.
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

Yiota,

I am not going to attempt to offer advice on the particular models you have mentioned, but having just bought a piano recently (the long story documented on another thread) my advice would be to visit a number of dealers and try a wider range of pianos.

I think you have a decent budget and certainly in the UK you would get a wide choice at that price point from what I have seen.

Robert