hello everyone

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

hello everyone

Post by OneHandOnly »

just saying hello... finally decided to have a go at learning the piano after years of wanting to do it but not having the time. now, as a slightly old man of 39 years it's time. Found a teacher(i hope he's patient :D ) and bought a keyboard, i know, i know, not ideal but as i've never had any attempt at music i want to make sure i'm not flogging a dead horse. had four lessons and my teacher says i'm doing ok but im not so sure,anyway, the idea is to treat myself to a shiny new piano for my 40th at the end of april :piano; providing i have at least some kind of ability. so is 5 months an ideal amount of time to know if im a hopeless case or not?
nice to meet you all
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: hello everyone

Post by Qcam2010 »

Hello and welcome!

Good for you for taking up the piano. I only started this year and I'm 32. I've just done my grade 1 and am now working towards grade 2. I would say 5 months is enough time to decide if it's for you or not. Just make sure you practice practice practice. And working towards treating yourself to a nice shiny new piano is a good way to make you practice, giving you something to work towards. :piano;
OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by OneHandOnly »

hi all :D
thanks for your comments. Yeah, i already know that the keyboard won't last long, my teacher has a grand piano and i love it :piano; but i have to decide whether to go with an acoustic or a digital. can practice 2 or 3 hours a day in the week and 5 or 6 a day at weekends (believe me , i need it :( ) but i'm not sure my wife and neighbours would like to hear it :lol:
Also, as i write this the temperature is -5 , at 6am it was -10. anyone know the best gloves for playing the piano? :lol: :lol: :lol:
OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by OneHandOnly »

dave brum wrote:I often wonder how church organists cope, having to sit in freezing cold churches and play, I bet their poor little pinkies must be perishing!!!

and their fingers too! :D :D :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have a pair of fingerless stripey woolly gloves. The vicars make funny comments about them, but by the end of the service when we file out and shake hands with the poor frozen bugger, I can never resist saying 'NOW who's laughing...?'
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

dave brum wrote:Do you play organ in church Gill?? :o
Yep, two gigs on every 4th Sunday and three other churches as and when required. Plus the odd evening service.
I'm not a proper organist, because I haven't the puff to use the pedals properly, but if you know which stops to drag out most people are none the wiser! Church organists are v. thin on the ground so as long as I can play hymns at sight and play jolly pieces at the beginning and ends (unless it's a funeral, obviously...even then I've played 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'!) everybody's happy...
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Pipe organs these days tend to have electric actions which are easy to play. The old tracker actions are a nightmare though! If it's a digital organ its obviously not that much of a problem, especially if you're a pianist, because the key action is so light. However, it can get pretty cold in church and from time to time the hands can feel like they're gonna clam up.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

They are all trackers except one. And the secret weapon is fingerless gloves - completely fingerless, not those that are sawn off halfway up the finger!