Stage Piano AMP

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Yamaha_Sam
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Stage Piano AMP

Post by Yamaha_Sam »

Hey all, just bought a Yamaha CP 33 and need some help...

Umpacked my new piano and plugged in my old guitar amp and the sound is AWEFUL!!! this makes practicing a nightmare.

What I need is a suitable speaker that will give off good sound when i'm at home and another set that will be ideal for gigging. I'm assuming I can't really have both in one set.

My current idea is to get:

For Home Use

2 x Yamaha MSP5 Studio Monitors

For gigging

Yamaha Stagepas 300

will this be suitable? will my piano sound like a piano? don't really like the fact i've bought a fairly expensive digital piano and the sound is rubbish! but I refuse to believe its the piano it must be the amp....surely....hopefully

this seems to be an ongoing situation for many of you on here so hopefully someone has found something...

also would be helpful if anyone can recommend a way to wire this up, are people just using the mono jack into the speakers/mixer or are you jacking one onto the mixer on one channel and the R socket into another channel??? Little confused and have a gig sunday infront of 160 people, the last thing i want is to have a rubbish sound!!! HELLPPPP!!!!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Stage Piano AMP

Post by athomik »

Your suggested set-up should be ok. Your piano will sound dodgy if you go through a guitar amp, they are not designed to give you a clean, full range sound, which is what you need for keyboards/DPs.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Yamaha_Sam
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Yamaha_Sam »

yea asked on another forum too and they suggested to just go straight for the 300 system and leave the monitors for the time being (untill i can afford a sep setup for gigging and a home setup in place permanantly)

have just had an email off a shop trying to get me on the 500 rather than the 300 for reasons of bass although i'm not sure if this is just him trying to upsell...

:piano;
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Yamaha_Sam wrote:yea asked on another forum too and they suggested to just go straight for the 300 system and leave the monitors for the time being (untill i can afford a sep setup for gigging and a home setup in place permanantly)

have just had an email off a shop trying to get me on the 500 rather than the 300 for reasons of bass although i'm not sure if this is just him trying to upsell...

:piano;
More power will give you more head room for a given volume, which can open up the sound a bit, such as providing richer bass, but without trying both set-ups, it would be difficult to judge wether the 500 is worth the extra money to you.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Yamaha_Sam
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Yamaha_Sam »

ahh cool cheers.

can't get it on the take it away scheme anyway so all has to go on hold lol...

the person running the show has a big bass amp which is what my piano is going to be plugged into just hope this gives better quality :S