Yamaha grands, pecking order, continued.......

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sylvester550

Yamaha grands, pecking order, continued.......

Post by sylvester550 »

Ref; http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... 87&start=0
I found this old thread fascinating!
I'm in the market to replace my Yamaha upright for a grand piano. I play jazz 2/3rds of the time, some classical the remainder. My partner plays less than I do, is a more proficient player, and plays mostly classical. I've been looking and trying pianos for a couple of months, and find myself more confused than when I started looking.
My initial search was for a C3 or similar, but I totally fell for the S6 and C7 Yamahas. Little to choose, but beyond budget. The more I've looked, the more the budget has stretched! My partner has fallen for a rebuilt Steinway A, which has a wonderful touch and tone. My dilemma is I'm now into a different level of piano and budget, and with patience could find an S6 at similar money. The C7 is a little big, but a C5 or 6 could be an option. Am I missing other options?
I think my ear is more used to the Yamaha sound on the music I listen to, and I find the Steinway sound very 'full on'. Has anyone any thoughts on this? How is the Steinway going to sound with a jazz repertoire once it settles down? Will my ear adjust?
Thanks in anticipation......
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Yamaha grands, pecking order, continued.......

Post by Model V »

PM sent.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I think the Yamaha C6 is a fine piano, one of the best they make. The C7 is excellent but it is just that little bit big for most domestic situations. Steinways can be full on but they are beautiful pianos. Perhaps Chris Venables will recommend you try a Brodmann 212 or something. Brodmann is an amazing piano especially when you take into account that they are half the price of a Yamaha. OK it might not have quite the same build quality but I've been hammering away on a 187 for 3 years now and its been trouble free.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Steinway every time depending on budget is if you buy Chinese grand and want to upgrade later its virtually worthless.Stick to Yamaha or Kawai new or used and if buying Steinway used get Steinway tech to check over before purchase.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I agree the chinese pianos don't have the resale value of Yamaha, Kawai and of course Steinway. I agree that Steinway is possibly the best piano being made at the moment (well, its my favourite), and Yamaha or Kawai are the best if you can afford them. If you can't afford them and you NEED a new piano right now, then look at the Brodmanns if you're not worried about resale value. If I had the money, I'd buy a Steinway in a heartbeat. No question.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I am not that sold on the S&S is best may be in the 1920. Do you get the Jazz FM CD quite as lot of the recording is done up north, when a piano is used its ether a Yamaha C3, C5 or C7

Don't get me wrong S&S are nice. but not the holy grail for all

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Should go and try the new improved Boston range designed by Steinway & Sons they knock the Yamaha grand range for six i personally prefer the seventies Yamaha pianos as i find the build quality lacking in the newer ones.Kawai range has improved over last 10 years which is mainly due to Steinways invovlement in the production proccesses which is hands on.As a tuner/tech Steinway for me if customer able to afford if not new Boston PE series no comparision.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I played a Boston 215 (is it a 215?) PE at Steinways. Fine piano, big sound, responsive action. Very like a New York Steinway if you like that kind of thing. Very different to Yamaha.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Played a few Bostons at S&S. Have to say I was unimpressed - I think this was partly due to the lack of time and effort that seemed to have been put into setup. Whereas the S&S pianos were set up to perfection.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Have played quite a few of the new Boston PE series grands which have been prepped and tuned by myself and personally find them a delight to play tune and prep dont see the comparision in sound with New York Steinways and are a vast improvement than the older post 1992 instruments best quality instrument in their price range and full refund if you want to upgrade to Steinway does it get any better ?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

OK, the ones I played in Steinway hall felt and sounded like most of the NY steinways I had played. Not a negative point, just an observation. According to a rep at Steinway Hall, the Bostons are designed to incorporate as many of the features of a Steinway as possible, and explained it was the NY Steinway it was based on. Of course, there will be major differences since its a different design, but the character was there, if you like.