help regarding teaching

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

mr potters

help regarding teaching

Post by mr potters »

Hi folks
Ive been playing piano professionaly for over 20 years. As Im starting to slow down a little regarding perfoming Ive decided to start privately teaching locally.

Although I have no teaching qualifications I know that with a clear understanding of the subject, most pro's can teach.

This is no problem. However, if a pupil wishes to go through their grades, how would I go about this?
Would they need to register somewhere? or arrange an exam date with an examiner?

any help form teachers out there will be a huge help

many thanks
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: help regarding teaching

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi

I am a piano teacher (and tuner) in West Yorkshire.
I would recommend the "Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music" - London.
Look on their website for details.

You yourself need to register with them (not the pupil) to enter a pupil in for an exam - you are known as the 'Applicant' - and pupil(s) known as the candidate.

When your pupils are ready to enter in for the exams, request for an application form from them - you can register as you make the exam entry. Follow the instructions on the app. form as a new applicant.
Then when the exam date is processed, you will receive an applicant number - usually about 6 digits in length - this is used for future entries (so they have all your previous details on file/ address/ phone number etc.)

I think the website is http://www.abrsm.org

You can either collect an application form from a music shop, order one on-line, or even download a form and print it off. Entries can also be done through the on-line service.

The next exam period is Autumn - closing date around 24th Sept for exams in Nov - Dec 2010.

You may enter the same pupil in for a practical & theory exam on the same form, but only one practical subject at a time. The code for piano is 01 and theory is 99 - see the form for more details.
When you send the form off, ABRSM will allocate a date for your pupil to attend an exam centre - so you need to check which one is closest to you. Theory exams are a set date & time, but practical exams may occur anytime within a 6 week period. You are usually notified about 3-4 weeks before the exam date when the exam is, where and at what time.

Please check the syllabus for each grade as there are new requirements for 2011 entries.

Hope that helps. If you need more help, just let me know.

CN
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen