Advice on Kawai upright TP 125 S

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

kath135

Advice on Kawai upright TP 125 S

Post by kath135 »

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. As a new member I am looking for help in deciding whether or not to purchase a Kawai upright piano (TP 125S). I have checked the serial number with Kawai Uk and it was manufactured in Japan 2nd December 1982. The selling price is £1600 which I think is reasonable. I have played the piano and I am having my piano tuner give it the once over to ensure that everything is in order. You would say then, that if all is well when it has been inspected that I will have covered all angles. However, I have received the email below from Kawai UK today with some further information on the piano and now I'm not too sure:-

"I have received little more information about Kawai TP-125 from Japan.

TP-125 was manufacture specially for “ Tokyo Piano” therefore model name is start from TP (Tokyo Piano).

TP-125 is based on our standard pianos model KS-2F but because we have produced for specially for Tokyo Piano therefore model name changed especially to TP-125.

I do not have information of what differences on specification between TP-125 and KS-2F at the moment but I can tell you that TP-125 is made for special"

I have several questions and would really appreciate all your honest answers.

1. Is this an entry level piano. (We are currently playing Grade 6/7 pieces)
2, Is it as good as a Yamaha U3
3, Is it a problem that the piano was produced specifically for Tokyo

There doesn't appear to be any information on the internet on model TP-125 so I am hoping you guys can help.

Many Thanks
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Advice on Kawai upright TP 125 S

Post by PianoGuy »

Another case of Kawai's model numbering being so bewildering even their own reps often have no idea about older models. The KS-2F wasn't a bad piano, but look carefully and you'll discover just how much of that shiny black case is made of plastic. The casework rigidity on older Kawais is poor and often leads to creaks and rattles in use. It's not until you get to the earliest models of the current generation (around 2005/6) that matters improve dramatically, and even then entry level models are still lacking.

That said, the KS-2F's not a bad sounding piano and will suffice to the grades that you need it for. It's not in the Yamaha U-series league though, and in spite of the copious amounts of plastic used in the action it manages to have a 'wooden' and 'dead' feel to the keyboard. You don't say whether your price is for a private sale where you are responsible for transport and have no warranty or from a dealer including these items and VAT. It's top whack for a private sale, but not so bad from a dealer.

Japanese imports are becoming the norm these days, so I'd not be too concerned as long as the price is right and you like the piano.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
kath135

Post by kath135 »

Thankyou Piano Guy.
It is a private sale and I'm beginning to think that by the time I have paid for removal costs and the expert opinion of my tuner it may be a better idea to purchase a used U3 from a dealer that will come with a guarantee. I do know that the piano was purchased a year ago from a reputable dealer for £3,000
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

kath135 wrote:I do know that the piano was purchased a year ago from a reputable dealer for £3,000
Reputable maybe, but well versed in the money/old rope transaction by the looks of it.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
kath135

Post by kath135 »

Just like to thank those of you who replied and to let you know that I have purchased a used Yamaha U3 which is to be delivered on tues. Can't wait!!