Bluthner Patent Shanks

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Bluthner Patent Shanks

Post by joseph »

One of the shanks on my 100 year old Bluthner has crumbled at the pivot point, I can't actually find the bit that has disintegrated. Anyway it's clear the shank will need replaced which will involve the removal and replacement of the hammer head (which is only 2 years old). Do we think that the other shanks are going to go the same way soon, and does anyone know how much it would cost to re-shank the piano, or just repair the one that's damaged? Would I be better to start saving for an RX-3? (slightly attached to my old Bluthner coz it got me through my postgrad and RCM auditions..... ah well....)
vernon

Re: Bluthner Patent Shanks

Post by vernon »

Joseph
When in doubt do nothing!
Replace the one that's collapsed and replace any (unlikely)succesors as they fail.
You'll be fine I'm sure.
5 minute job . Everybody does Bluthner shanks
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

OK thats what I'll do. I guess that an action rebuild would end up costing much more than I would imagine. I'm always half thinking of selling that piano, but I've thus far seen nothing in the right price range to replace it with.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:OK thats what I'll do. I guess that an action rebuild would end up costing much more than I would imagine. I'm always half thinking of selling that piano, but I've thus far seen nothing in the right price range to replace it with.

A full rebuild by Bluthners will only be around 12K

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I know that, and the rebuilt pianos are nice, but they're not a significant improvement if you know what I mean. I'd have to really do a lot of thinking before I went for that option as I'm not convinced that the rebuilt pianos are as good as new instruments.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:I know that, and the rebuilt pianos are nice, but they're not a significant improvement if you know what I mean. I'd have to really do a lot of thinking before I went for that option as I'm not convinced that the rebuilt pianos are as good as new instruments.

Depends how its done, if they just keep the case and frame its just like a new one if done at the factory But then there is the action you could have a Renner one fitted, but Bluthners are not as keen as they use to be at replacing the patent action with a new one.

But it is a gamble I have two on my rou8nd that have had the full rebuild including a replacement action one is a joy the other well ... the client is happy with it.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

Renner can supply new patent shanks, flanges and lightwieght hammers to keep the original touch and feel of the action. Or can supply a new keyboard and action to fully convert the piano to a roller action.
Talk to your tuner/technician for a quote.

DF
Renner UK
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

well I know that these pianos can be absolutely beautiful, and I know that a restored patent action can be something quite special - even if its not as fast as the modern action - which can raise the question of musical aesthetics of course.......

anyway... as well as the Bluthner, I have a fully functional 2 year old piano, so it's not a matter of urgency and I have time to think about it. 12K would go a long way to a new piano. If I REALLY had to have a Bluthner of that period, I might source one already rebuilt and buy it, rather than have mine done up and not enjoy it, if you see what I mean.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Very wise Joseph.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I've just had a look at your website.... tell me about the Venables and Son piano. Is it a bit like the Wendl and the Brodmann? It looks like a nice instrument.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

joseph wrote:well I know that these pianos can be absolutely beautiful, and I know that a restored patent action can be something quite special - even if its not as fast as the modern action - which can raise the question of musical aesthetics of course.......

anyway... as well as the Bluthner, I have a fully functional 2 year old piano, so it's not a matter of urgency and I have time to think about it. 12K would go a long way to a new piano. If I REALLY had to have a Bluthner of that period, I might source one already rebuilt and buy it, rather than have mine done up and not enjoy it, if you see what I mean.
12K better spent on new grand,would not buy rebuilt by the Poles,a few British workshop still do quality work at a price,would agree about buying one already done,in my experience the only grand worth that cash output is Steinway,have reconditioned many of the other brands and they are okay for the furniture buyers.Go for Kawai RX3 or new Steinway B.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Joe : How can a buyer be certain that a piano hasn't been to Poland? I suspect some of those " British workshops" use polish shops for much of their casework, soundboards, stringing etc., and only do actions and final finishing themselves.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

well i know one workshop that does it all here.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Shank repaired. That piano doesn't just need its shanks redone HAHA.

Joe, I can't afford a new Steinway B or a new RX. The Steinway costs more than my flat did :lol: