Steinway model O or B?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chrisk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steinway model O or B?

Post by chrisk »

I was considering a new Steinway model O but have recently realised that a Model B is the one to buy from playing one and as confirmed on this forum. My only concern is the size of my lounge which is 5.6 by 6.8 meters with standard ceiling height and wondered if this size piano will be overpowering in such a space?
All thoughts and experience welcome
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Steinway model O or B?

Post by Model V »

If you can afford a new S&S grand, you should be able to afford a house with a bigger living room :P

Serously, I don't think your room is necessarily too small for a B.

MV
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

No.

Buy.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Buy it you will not regret it the piano can be voiced to the room if needed

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisk »

Nice point re being able to afford a larger lounge - actually we live in a lovely cottage and are extending so hence the decision to upgrade to to a grand. However a country cottage with a mega music studio attached would not go down that well with the neighbours or the planners lol.

I currently have a Bluthner model A (any offers anyone?) which has a stunning sound but even this was a bit of an adjustment when I first got it as it seemed to over power the room. A blanket on a frame at the back stopped it echoing though. My playing has adjusted and got more sensitive too. I have looked at Bluthner grands and found them unconvincing and lacking presence. I have tried Yamaha and found them too bright and lacking depth and breath. Sorry folks.

So despite the price one pays for the brand I liked the Steinway O, the A seemed to be three inches for not much but the B seems a different proposition altogether.

These are not the musing of a professional pianist but an ex rock musician which a good ear who started from scratch with classical only 3 years ago. I adore the repertoire and just want my fumblings on the keys to sound the best they can. Great site by the way.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I'd agree with the A being no great improvement over the O. I prefer the O in fact.

The B is a wonderful instrument and a massive improvement. As a point of interest have you tried a Yamaha S6? Many players find they're a real B alternative, although I am witnessing a bit of premature action wear in a few examples that have seen heavy use.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

get the B. no contest.
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

To be honest I would seriously look at Bosendorfers before you buy.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

hammer man wrote:To be honest I would seriously look at Bosendorfers before you buy.
They are not in the same league on quality,durability,tonality,tuning stability and build quality,may be in the same price range,there as only been one Bosendorfer grand piano sale in the U.K in 18 months do you want me to continue.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Bosendorfers are nice but next to a B there's no comparison imo. I'd rather have a well set up Yamaha. With a first class tech the humble C3 can be made to play and sound amazing (so good I just bought one). Most, however, are not set up well enough.

If you've got the cash, just go S&S, and B if you possibly can. It'll be worth more in 20 years than you paid new. All other German pianos will depreciate like a Rover 75.

WHen it's installed I'd love to come and have a go. Anywhere near Derbyshire?

Good luck,

MV.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Model V wrote:All other German pianos will depreciate like a Rover 75.

I love those! A real British car in spite of BMW design input!
PG

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

PianoGuy wrote:
Model V wrote:All other German pianos will depreciate like a Rover 75.

I love those! A real British car in spite of BMW design input!
You can certainly get 'em cheap. A lot of car for the money.

BTW, nice to have you back regularly, PG
Last edited by Model V on 23 Aug 2009, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
chrisk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisk »

Really valuable insights everyone thank you plus a great sense of humour. That Bluthner A seems to be a Rover too only a year old and been offered 50% in part ex. Sorry we are in Somerset but you are always welcome to pop in if you are passing. The B has been voiced sweetly for a smaller room so I guess i will have go play it again. I also presume from what you are saying is that extra foot on the B does not mean a huge difference in volume.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

You know, it will mean the extra difference in the volume WHEN YOU NEED IT.

you know how a stereo amplifier with greater output power sounds clearer at low volume than one with low output? And when you want to crank it up it wont distort? It's a bit like that with pianos. Although I would say that a full size concert grand is a different kettle of fish.

Incidentally I happen to LOVE Bosendorfers.
chrisk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisk »

had an opportunity yesterday to play 5 Os and 2 Bs at the same time - no in the same room not stretching he he and clearly no contest. The B is a different landscape entirely. I just wondered if any of you piano professionals know of people having a B in their living room - mine room is 5 meters by 7 meters.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Well, I have a Brodmann 187 (model A size) in a room much smaller than that, so I don't think you'll have any problem. The piano is voiced to be fairly mellow and there is soft furnishing in the room. Also, no complaints from the neighbours, I live in a small flat in Dundee.
chrisk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisk »

Gosh you must play better than me then he he. We are detached in the country with neighbours a few hundred meters away so no problem on that score. I was just worried about the sound being too much in such a space but have to admit the B is so much better to play than the 0

joseph wrote:Well, I have a Brodmann 187 (model A size) in a room much smaller than that, so I don't think you'll have any problem. The piano is voiced to be fairly mellow and there is soft furnishing in the room. Also, no complaints from the neighbours, I live in a small flat in Dundee.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

JDI.

You have PM.