Mid 1800s Kirkman Piano-How much should I sell for?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

rgoodwin09

Mid 1800s Kirkman Piano-How much should I sell for?

Post by rgoodwin09 »

My dad owns a London Kirkman piano that we estimate is from the 1840s. It has a very intricate wood design on the front and ivory keys. It is in beautiful condition, but is a very large and heavy piece of funiture to have, so my dad wants me to sell it. I am wondering how much I should ask for it, as I have no background in antiques :?

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mid 1800s Kirkman Piano-How much should I sell for?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

in most cases it will be how much will you pay me to take it away, Pianos of that age are more collectors pianos than musical interments and the trick is to find a collector that will have your piano if you get £100.00 you are doing well

Ask Bill on the history forum he may know someone how is looking for a piano of that vintage

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

rgoodwin09 wrote:My dad owns a London Kirkman piano that we estimate is from the 1840s. It has a very intricate wood design on the front and ivory keys. It is in beautiful condition, but is a very large and heavy piece of funiture to have, so my dad wants me to sell it. I am wondering how much I should ask for it, as I have no background in antiques :?
Barry is correct with his comments.
Thinking a very old piano is worth a fair amount of money is unfortunately a common misconception. Of course there are exceptions to this, but they tend to be rare occurrences.
Here we are talking of an overstrung upright from a London maker, and with a wooden frame if your vintage guess is close.
I understand that a number of people are fascinated by Victorian pianos, but in reality not many will buy them (unless rare) for display purposes, and especially not to play.
I enjoy following the internet sales of Pleyel pianos, many of the older ones of which have elegant cases, and it is common to see them up for offer from 50-300 pound equivalent in euros. Whether they actually sell for those amounts is another matter.
I wish you luck with your sale of the Kirkman. It's worth is really what one is prepared to pay.
Last edited by NewAge on 16 Aug 2009, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Would burn very nicely
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Sad but true.

There pianos have no following in the piano trade whatsoever, but occasionally people rescue them from destruction by giving them a home. Ask Bill Kibby in the "History" section for advice.

I'll make you an offer for the Chevy though.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You could try a film prop company; sometimes they buy things like this to go in historical programmes.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;