World's largest piano, built by 16 year old.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

World's largest piano, built by 16 year old.

Post by A440 »

This is really very inspiring!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQpnMDaF-aE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PI8RYIeypM

Hope it doesn't get too hot in that tin shed!
but I expect he's thought of that -he is clearly a genius!
Gill the Piano

Re: World's largest piano, built by 16 year old.

Post by Gill the Piano »

Did you see the one on the Fandrich Piano on YouTube? A chap who says he 'always thought the sound of the american upright piano could be improved'. Fancy that...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I didn't think bigger than 10foot would make any differance according to the physics of music wire? But I could be wrong, still I think it will go out of tune very quickly in that barn.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

With almost 40 hits already of this post, I'm surprised that nobody has commented so far on what a tremendous achievement this is by a 16 year old - I wish it had been my son. Absolutely amazing!
Here's another clip which details some of the internals of the piano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEoE1eRn68w

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlexanderpiano
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Yes, he's a truely remarkable young man.
I have been in correspondence with him a little and he has lots of questions about stringing patterns which I intend to post here shortly.

Adrian Mann - 2008 General Scholarship Recipient
Inventor, Timaru

To construct the world’s largest piano

“My doubts about getting anywhere were pretty high, but now to be chosen out of 1100 people, that’s a huge honour.”

"When I think of failing I think of what Thomas Edison once said “I have not failed I have merely found 10,000 ways it doesn’t work!”

Despite having no formal training, Adrian is single-handedly building the world’s largest piano. Inspired by his Great Great Grandfather Alexander Barrie Mann (maternal cousin of Sir James Matthew Barrie, author of Peter Pan) who came to New Zealand in 1882 from Tannadice, Angus, Scotland, Adrian will build the piano in his memory.

Adrian is more than half way through the construction, which will produce a piano with a length of 18 feet, nine inches. The design is based on a stringing system that will push the boundary of conservative piano construction. Tests conducted by Adrian, based on elementary physics, have proven that a string length of this scale is possible. The result will be a very unique tone and a piano that will be one of a kind.

Adrian has received great interest from around the world - even as far as Germany. His local community has supported him by donating tools, timber, books and even money in order to help Adrian finish his project. Adrian hopes to have his piano displayed in the local community where it can be seen as a testament of inspiration to other New Zealanders to go on and do great things no matter what obstacles or challenges they may face along the way.

The piano is now finished and has exceeded all expectations.
ChristopherT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ChristopherT »

20160630_142501.jpg
It is now housed in the main Anglican church in Timaru.