help needed with fingering

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think you just have to trust the teacher; he/she will be aware of any problems associated with the size of Emily's hands, and you can always ask that they find exercises that are manageable for her. The last thing the teacher wants is for her to become discouraged and there are so many books aimed at litte ones on the market now that finding a suitable book won't be a problem.Make sure that you're helping with her practice, as it's sometimes better if the teacher/pupil relationship is left exclusive - after all, there's no point paying a professional to do the job and then doing it again yourself! It can be confusing for a child to be told one thing in the lesson and another at home. Talk to the teacher - and if they don't listen, try another teacher that WILL. Any good tutor wants to bring out the best in their pupil. Have fun! Gill x
tafatong

Post by tafatong »

Gill Green wrote:I think you just have to trust the teacher; he/she will be aware of any problems associated with the size of Emily's hands, and you can always ask that they find exercises that are manageable for her.
Sorry had to chuckle at this. I have a crooked little finger on my left hand and it took my organ teacher (and my piano teacher later on) several years before they realised that just because I could fairly easily stretch an octave with my righthand (on a good day I could do a 9th) didn't mean I could do the same with my left - even today with my hands 'fully grown' an octave is a struggle with my left hand.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I was trusting that the teacher would have the sense to look at the child's hands to start with! Glad you made it despite such 'help'!
tafatong

Post by tafatong »

Thing is because of the 'crook' in my finger it actually forms into the 'perfect' position for piano player - a beautifuly curved shape.

These were top teachers that forgot - as one hand was 'ok' and the other wasn't LOL
littlemisscrotchet

Post by littlemisscrotchet »

If Emily is not yet 5 her handspan must be tiny!
I still remember being an 8 year old and I couldn't play an octave ( 8 notes) with my thumb and little finger! My teacher used to get me just to play the upper note. Don't worry about Emily's handspan-it's still going to grow and later she will be able to play a fifth easily!
Maybe you could try to get her to practice 4ths to make sure she is still practising her stretching because practising the stretching will help her handspan to grow-just make sure she isn't overdoing it i.e. stop when it gets tiring.

Sheena
Smile :)