What DOES one do about a rogue trader?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

What DOES one do about a rogue trader?

Post by sirprize »

We have one in our town and for years he's had a simply wretched effect on the local piano community. Typically he will buy dirt-cheap, put the piano on his website as 'reconditioned' (when it's had nothing more than a squirt of Pledge and a mediocre tune) then wait for some unsuspecting punter to come along and pay a grotesquely inflated price for a heap of junk. When confronted with his misselling he never takes the instrument back with a full-refund but obsequiously offers a replacement from among his other 'reconditioned' pianos

I am due to give a Xmas performance on one of his 'pianos' and I am so horrified by this latest example of his neglect, laziness and greed that my patience has now completely run out. This small, crude, upright piano probably has no commercial value whatsoever, hasn't the slightest sign of being recently reconditioned and yet cost the owner nearly £2000. The infuriated owner is about to give him a nasty shock

Anyone got any thoughts on this (especially from those who have a very good idea of whom I'm talking about)? They would be MUCH appreciated
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

IMHO he should say something along the lines of "Forgive me Father for I have sinned".

Am I warm?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

nothing you can do about it. other than don't recommend him to people. rather than say 'oh he's crap don't go there' you could say 'why don't you try this place as well?' or something.
vernon

Post by vernon »

If the story you report is complete, I should let the customer vent his ire on him, take him to the Small Claims Court, backed by a competent Tech who will play ball and make sure the press is there, by phoning them first.
The customer's job, not yours.
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sirprize »

PG, I couldn't possibly comment on this person's religious affiliations (though I'd be shocked if he actually had any!)

......*phew* this room's getting warm......must open the window......
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its one for trading standers but the problem is getting someone who has got a piano off him to complain bin down this road a few times TS will not do anything unless the buyer complains its no use you complaining or anyone in the trade its has to be the buyer and they have to be willing to go all the way and most will not

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Trouble is, there are two major problems with cases like this:

"Reconditioned" is a word which means duck all. The piano must have been sold with a verbal (witnessed) or documented statement of what repair has been done to it.

The price paid is not a factor which is admissible in Court. The purchaser paid it, so was willing to do so. I realise that in doing so he/she may have assumed an amount of work having been done to the piano, but without documentary proof.....

...which brings me back to the first point.

This is why chancers in all trades get away with it. This year alone I could list:
£7,000 paid for a shafted old Yam G1 with a bu**ered plank, (real value about £1,500 for repair/spares);
£1,800 plus £100 for delivery paid for a no-namo upright underdamper wih a set of tapes and a spray of fresh French polish ( real value about £700 retail if you're being generous);
£2,000 paid for a 4-year old Yam C110A with sticking keys, below pitch and delivery extra (real value about £1,200 since they were readily available for £1,600 new. In this case the bar-steward of a dealer convinced the client that it was "around £3,400 new")

.... I could go on.
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sirprize »

Thanks everyone

The owner is absolutely incandescent with rage about this and I can't believe they won't do whatever it takes to make life as uncomfortable as possible for the trader. And it would be as easy as pie to persuade another half dozen folk to submit their own experiences of piano-betrayal to Fair Trading and Small Claims. Likewise getting a reputable tech to write a report: this trader is making such a bad name for the trade they'll be queuing up to write it
vernon

Post by vernon »

I have a customer with a 1909 Bluthner grand supplied by a shop in Glasgow (!), half the dust has blown out of it,( still plenty of hairpins and tinsel in it) case sprayed. . £12000.
Bought by a young piano teacher on hp. It's her pride and joy. When asked my opinion, what do I say? "Iv'e just sold one completely overhauled for £2500?" I said something anodyne like " It sounds nice now that I tuned it."
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sirprize »

@ Vernon........mopping up tears......chewing the carpet......can't take no more piano-abuse
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sirprize wrote:Thanks everyone

The owner is absolutely incandescent with rage about this and I can't believe they won't do whatever it takes to make life as uncomfortable as possible for the trader. And it would be as easy as pie to persuade another half dozen folk to submit their own experiences of piano-betrayal to Fair Trading and Small Claims. Likewise getting a reputable tech to write a report: this trader is making such a bad name for the trade they'll be queuing up to write it
Then you do need a report to state that the piano is not fit for purpose However, you will be surprised how many tuners don't want to get in involved and you need a tuner who has no involvement with the local good shops

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If the piano has been described as having any attributes that it hasn't got, (such as being "completely overhauled and recionditioned" when it obviously hasn't) this is a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act and I would advise contacting Trading Standards. You must be able to demonstrate to them that the instrument was not as described. This will usually require an expert opinion. It doesn't cost anything so I would suggest they contact them anyway.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

I think you should name and shame. Why not say the name of the offending trader? How else are others not going to fall into the same trap? There is nothing wrong with naming a dealer who gives bad service. I think this forum is here to help for exactly this kind of situation. Am I wrong, is it in some way unfair?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A440 wrote:I think you should name and shame. Why not say the name of the offending trader? How else are others not going to fall into the same trap? There is nothing wrong with naming a dealer who gives bad service. I think this forum is here to help for exactly this kind of situation. Am I wrong, is it in some way unfair?
I think it probably would be unfair, although I feel driven to it at times. The thing is, we're all fallible without exception, and I'm sure there's not a dealer, tuner or technician in the country who has not upset someone somewhere, so it's a bit dodgy naming and shaming if the dealer in question is not present to defend himself. In some cases it's the client who has misunderstood or is being unreasonable. There are rogue punters as well as rogue dealers.

Naming and shaming could just turn the forum into a slanging match, not to mention rivals of basically sound dealers posting horror stories. The whole point behind the forum is that it's a resource where one can post anonymously, so all hell could break loose if allegedly dodgy dealers were named.

The temptation though..... Especially in this case......
:twisted:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A440 wrote:I think you should name and shame.
if it goes to court and you win fine other than that no as you could end up in court for Libel.

Barrie

Forum Disclaimer
All messages made available as part of this discussion Forum and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of ABPT. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this UK Piano Page web site does not mean that ABPT has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message to forum@uk-piano.org. This forum is not monitored 24/7. information on this forum is for information purposes only and not intended to constitute professional advice.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i know someone last year who sold a yamaha compact upright, can't remember the model but it was about 15 years old, for £3200, because someone was happy to pay for it. I told him outright that I was appalled that he did that when he knew fine that the person could have bought a brand new one for less.

He smiled and said 'thats business!'

The truth is, he hasn't done anything illegal, he didn't tell her it would cost more to buy a new one or anything, he just said this is the piano, this is the price, do you like it? she bought it all!
Jerome
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Jerome »

I am no tech nor a particularly good pianist but I am always surprised by the number of older pianos on sale for quite high prices in shops. They sound like old bangers and one lift of the lid is enough to reveal even to me that no real work has been done to them. They seem to sell, so I can only hope they go to people who want a famous name in their living room and don't care about the musical quality. I guess the people who really get caught out are parents or others who don't play the piano and trust the dealer.

Given that there appears to be a profitable market for junk, less scrupulous dealers will always be tempted to continue selling it. I would have thought trading standards would only be much use if there is clear misrepresentation, eg it was said to have new strings and it hasn't.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

You're right, naming and shaming is not the way. I was playing devil's advocate a bit. But my point is that a prospective buyer will read posts such as the above and have general suspicion about all dealers because he has been shown a mystery rogue dealer. It's an obvious assumption. Buying a piano is a confusing minefield for many already.
Perhaps it's best just not to post horror stories. I don't really know the most responible option...
Forums such as this are in a remarkably powerful position and are beloved of Google searches.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Just a quick thought...
Maybe a general advice page from the regular posters (such as PianoGuy) would be useful... you could call it "PG tips"!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

you could call it "PG tips"!
Sorry, I beat you to that one a few months back 8) But then someone else probably beat me to it before that. It's a good gag, mind :wink:
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
vernon

Post by vernon »

HAVE AT LOOK AT THE fORUM " pIANOS ON THE iNTERNET" TODAY AND YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THE PITFALLS. EG A JUDGE RULED AGAINST A COMPLAINANT BECAUSE THERE IS NO MEASURE OF HOW LONG A PIANO SHOUILD STAY IN TUNE OR( sorry!) if it should be at " concert" pitch.
Hence, a tech is very ill advised( unless well paid) to go into a witness box for fear of being made to look an incompetent mug by a disinterested judge. That's their job after all.
Can I now transfer to the Dealers and Retailers forum
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

vernon wrote: Hence, a tech is very ill advised( unless well paid) to go into a witness box for fear of being made to look an incompetent mug by a disinterested judge. That's their job after all.
Indeed it is. A judge *has* to be disinterested to give a fair opinion.

The trouble is they're not technicians. Some cases require an 'expert witness' to give an unbiased opinion of whether the item is saleable or not. I've been asked a few times, but no case has ever gone to Court, they've always settled beforehand. Some dealers don't want the hassle.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

As above, the judge at small claims courts dosn't know about pianos, and also bear in mind that a technician is usally being paid by the customer so the judge is a little sceptical. At the end of the day, the piano will have to be completely un-tuanable( pins turn as soon as you let go) to prove its a dud.
Trading standards will not act against a dealer, but advise to get in touch or take it further to court. Court is expensive and the odds are against you. If the piano ("thing" in some cases) plays and holds its tune for a while, then it is OK in the eyes of the law.
The price of an instrument is not in question in most cases as its business sense to get as much as you can for something, its not against the law, its up to the customer to find out if its good for the money.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I once saw an effective protest. There was a car dealership on a main road and I saw a person stood on their own with a large sign in their hands saying "I have a dispute with this company" or something very similar.

I have no idea how it ended but if someone did that outside your shop wouldn't you think seriously about giving them a full refund. Just 2 or 3 hours outside the shop every Saturday morning should do it.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)