Action adjustment

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

shrewding
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Action adjustment

Post by shrewding »

I just bought a Kemble cambridge comtp for a week. I quite like it when it's in show room. but since it has been move into my flat. I am dissatisfied with it! javascript:emoticon(':(')

> Keys are a bit on the heavy side. I knew it is a new piano, need to take time to "loosen up" . but it's too tight to play any soft piece. it always lose voice if I hit the keys a bit soft. and especially when repeating play one keys!

> Piano is quite loud and bright than i expected!

> the most most annoying thing is that there is little distinction between the sound when using the soft pedal and when playing it without. is this some mechanical problem?

I have the free tuning in 4-5 weeks time,
1.is there anything i can do before that?
2.is there anything I can get him to do while he is working at the piano. and coz it's the free one from dealer, I am worried about if he would like to do all the stuff i enquire .
_________________ :(
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

My advice would be to inform the shop so they can let the tuner know in advance that it will take extra work/time other than the tuning itself.

My other advice is don't touch.
shrewding
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by shrewding »

Brumtuner wrote:
My other advice is don't touch.
I ask a piano teacher, she ask me to play it as long as I have time, especially some heavy piece before the tuning. now i am confused
shrewding
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by shrewding »

i just called the dealer about the soft pedal problem. they told me that's the issue with the small size piano( kemble contp is 114). even technician can't do too much about it.

I really doubt it. is it true??
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

The soft pedal works by moving the hammer rest rail towards the strings there for allowing less momentum when you press the key as it has to drop 3-4mm before the hammer starts to move. Some pianos it works, some it doesnt work that well. Ive got the same piano in stock as you ave and it works ok. You could get it adjusted a little more but it can only go so far. Remember if you are comparing it to the soft pedal on a overdamper piano it will never go that soft. But you would not want it to any way. And if you did just press the middle pedal. :lol:
Also make sure its actualy moving the rail and it hasnt come disconected in transit. Open the top look inside and press the pedal. If nothing moves thats your problem.

Is this a local purchase or a net/ long distance one.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I ask a piano teacher, she ask me to play it as long as I have time, especially some heavy piece before the tuning. now i am confused
I think Brumtuner meant 'don't touch the insides of the piano' to try and adjust anything, not 'don't play' the piano.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
shrewding
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by shrewding »

Thanks mdw!!

I have look at inside, and press the pedal. it does moves, but just a tiny bit. and the key just drop about 1mm i think, coz if i don't know it, i wouldn't notice it drops.

it is a local purchase
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

"I think Brumtuner meant 'don't touch the insides of the piano' to try and adjust anything, not 'don't play' the piano."

Indeed.

The soft pedal mechanism used nowadays (and for the last 100+ years) is rather useless in most cases. It's a half-blow job that is supposed to reduce the hammer impact on the strings. Not anywhere near as effective as a celeste job which puts muffling felt twixt hammer and string.

:wink:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

shrewding wrote:Thanks mdw!!

I have look at inside, and press the pedal. it does moves, but just a tiny bit. and the key just drop about 1mm i think, coz if i don't know it, i wouldn't notice it drops.

it is a local purchase

If the keys fronts are dropping down when the peddle is pressed then it is set up wrong ! tapes too short. That's unusual on a Kemble unless the piano has been in the showroom for a long time and has got damp some tuners pull on the tapes to help the hammers back to rest (very Bad practise if this is the case)

Your Music teacher is correct you play the piano as much as possible before the tuners comes and hard

Keep a note pad as the side of the piano and make notes of any problems or concerns hand it to the tuner. When the tuner calleds to make the appointment tell them you have problem that need sorting and that you want the piano voiced to the room.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Sorry by key drop I meant the key goes down when pressed with a finger before the hammer starts to move. NOT the keys drop when the pedal is pressed. That I could expect on a cheepie chinese piano not a Kemble. Either way dont panic its sortable and you have a good piano. The rail should move about 12 mm towards the strings when set up.
shrewding
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by shrewding »

mdw wrote:Ive got the same piano in stock as you ave and it works ok.
Thanks guys!!! your advice is very helpful for me!!!

mdw, u said the one in your stock works ok means from sound or mechanical side?

I have a look at the inside of the piano. when the soft pedal pressed down, The rail does move towards the strings. everything looks working ok. except the sound hasn't any difference.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

The left hand pedal (or rather foot pedal) doesn't really make the sound any softer, but rather it gives you the ability to play softer and strike the string as the hammer is brought closer.
It is a very common misconception tha applying the left pedal makes the sound quieter. It does not, but rather gives you the ability to play with less pressure on the key.