A piano needing TLC!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

A piano needing TLC!

Post by Nutroast »

Hello to all,

I was invited to a friend's house today and she said I could have a play on her old piano.... she agreed it was in desparate need of tuning, but the strange thing was, it had absolutely no damping at all, no matter what pedal you pressed, or didn't press, it was like the sustain pedal was on the whole time, it felt like playing in an echo chamber; I'm putting her in touch with my local tech, I sure he'd love a challenge :lol:

It's apparently a very old iron frame jobbie, I can't remember the make, it wasn't one I recognised. Even with all its problems, it sounded quite sweet to me. I hope she agrees it's worth having some TLC bestowed on it. I'd hate for it to just become a coffee table.

PS. I'm starting to realise that my friends may think I'm turning into a piano bore :D
vernon

Post by vernon »

have a look underneath and you will find the pedal rod is jammed. Free it and everything will probably be tickety-boo.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Or... fold the top lid back and check the action is properly held in position with the 2 finger tabs seated correctly (or screws tightened). There maybe a centre thumbscrew, too. They're all at the top and easily get-atable.

Alternatively, let your tech tell you it needs a total restoration and will cost oodles of quids to 'fix', or if he's honest, like what I is, he'll sort it for nothing.

(or she) ;-)
vernon

Post by vernon »

Hmmm. old piano.
Brumtuner's advice is probably righter than mine.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Well you could still be right Vernon, sustain pedal arm may have a 'wood screw pivot' that has sheared, and the spring has pushed the whole arm up....If it aint Brumtuners explanation!
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

Was it an upright or grand?
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Tuna,

It's an upright. I've had a word with our new tech to let him know what he's in for!

Jan
xx