Eavestaff & Sons 14052

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

From the Hills

Eavestaff & Sons 14052

Post by From the Hills »

We have an upright piano which is very ornate. The gentleman who tuned it recently was certain the piano was manufactured about the 1860's but could not find any more information in his "piano bible". He tuned the piano successfully and felt it had been well cared for. It is all wood and ivory keys. Identifying number 14052. Are you able to offer further information and approximate valuation? Thanks.
It's just the most splendiferous sound always.
Bill Kibby

Eavestaff

Post by Bill Kibby »

The firm didn't become "& sons" until about 1889, and the number suggests somewhere around 1893, although their dates of early numbers were lost in a fire. I can supply a general booklet on the Eavestaff firm, or a report based on photos. Ivory keys are not unusual...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Eavestaff

Post by Bill Kibby »

If the action (the working parts of the notes) was made by Schwander, it should have a number on the rear, which can be dated.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
From the Hills

Re: Eavestaff

Post by From the Hills »

Bill Kibby wrote:If the action (the working parts of the notes) was made by Schwander, it should have a number on the rear, which can be dated.
Spoke with gent who tuned piano and he said he thought piano dated 1860's because of the all-wooden base and he also noted that there was nothing on the action to suggest it was a Schwander. He did not find any other numbers other than the already mentioned 14052. The piano was imported into New Zealand by a company called H.Collier & Co (Wanganui & New Plymouth). We appreciate your information to date. Thanks.
Bill Kibby

Eavestaff & Sons

Post by Bill Kibby »

Definitely after about 1889! Schwander weren't always the high-class name they became, and they made some weird and awful actions in the 1800s, even when they were making good grand actions for Bechstein etc.. If you look in the bottom of the piano, follow the strings all the way down, I imagine you will find they terminate at some kind of iron and, anyway, there were still some wood-framed pianos with very little iron in the early 1900s. It would be interesting to see photos.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
From the Hills

Re: Eavestaff & Sons

Post by From the Hills »

Bill Kibby wrote:Definitely after about 1889! Schwander weren't always the high-class name they became, and they made some weird and awful actions in the 1800s, even when they were making good grand actions for Bechstein etc.. If you look in the bottom of the piano, follow the strings all the way down, I imagine you will find they terminate at some kind of iron and, anyway, there were still some wood-framed pianos with very little iron in the early 1900s. It would be interesting to see photos.
Thanks again for further info. We'll get some photos to you as soon as we're able to locate a-willing-someone with the required techno!