Yamaha Clavinova

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

sooey
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha Clavinova

Post by sooey »

Hello all, I have seen a yamaha clp 220 clavinova priced at £805.99 delivered, and the same company are selling the clp 320 for over £50 less delivered. Both come with free piano stool. I know nothing about pianos digital or otherwise, :oops: and am confused because I thought that the 320 superceeded the 220, and would therefore probably be an improvement on the previous version. Have I got it wrong, is the 320 a step up from the 220, or is it in some way inferior. Thank you sooey
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The CLP320 does replace - so-to-speak- the current CLP220. The CLP320 is not available for trying out where I live, but as I was saying in another post, the CLP320 really aims to enhance its expressiveness and sound quality. As far as I am aware - and at this stage I am speaking with a measure of ignorance on this topic - Yamaha will not be changing the keyboard type that is installed on the CLP220, so the feel should be similar.

In the higher profile models, like the CLP340, 360, etc. the enhancement should be more noticeable as more effort is put into those models. The CLP320 is really the entry level and, as is the case with most manufacturers, they will hold back on the early models. Still shocked though about the cheaper price on the CLP320 - doesn't quite make sense!

It could be that the retailer is just trying to generate interest and to attract business before enhancing the price again - it may be temporary offer! Typically, a trader will reduce the older models to get shot of them ASAP!
sooey
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sooey »

Thanks for that Marky, though I still can't make my mind up which one to go for. :lol: I think I may go for the 220, just because I know that it's tried and trusted, the 320 being new may have some bugs in it. Does that make sense?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I don't mean to sound blunt, but you're not buying a high-tec computer here - just a digital piano. If the CLP320 is cheaper, then why not go for it instead? Have you tried the 320 yet?

Generally, faults occur in the advanced controllers and arranger keyboards owing to the amount of software running on the keyboard itself. You don't get malfunctions in digital pianos or straight stage pianos. At the end of the day, it's your choice but I can't help but think that the cheaper 320 may be a better deal for you.
sooey
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sooey »

Thanks again Marky, you're a gent. The 320 it will be, incidentally I spoke to the company and the 320 is cheaper at the moment because of an introductory offer.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Have you ordered your piano yet or maybe it has arrived already by now? Still haven't gotten a chance to see if they have arrived in my town... still, maybe they will be out and about in Australia when I arrive within the next 48 hours!
sooey
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sooey »

Have ordered it and got an email back to say it would be four weeks, however if I ordered a 330 instead it would only take 7-10 days. Extra 300 quid so I'll wait for the 320 :D
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I think the main difference between the two models is that the CLP330 has the GH3 hammer action keyboard installed which is more realistic than the hammer effect keyboard installed on the CLP320.

Still, the 320 special offer makes it a better purchase than the 220!