Melodist upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Melodist upright

Post by getcarternow »

Hi. thanks for a fantastic site. Could you help me find out anything about a piano I have just got for my son to replace his old cracked straight-strung? It is an overstrung underdamped upright with the name Melodist and below that overstrung, the frame has J.H.Clarke on it. Stamped on the upper edge is what I think is HLI? 66306 OR 66366 it is very hard to make out. I can find the odd mention in your forum on the frame name but nothing on Melodist. It is a nice old piano and in concert pitch.
Thanks Rob.
Bill Kibby

Melodist

Post by Bill Kibby »

The vast majority of piano names are not listed ANYWHERE on the net. We have over twenty thousand names on file, and every week, new ones come in which we have no record of. I have a feeling I may wake up in the middle of the night saying "it's not Melodist, it's...." so are you absolutely sure about the spelling? A number with letters in front of it sounds like a dealer's stock number.

Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

Hi, thanks. It is Melodist, I will look for more marks and get back to you, it plays very nice. Thanks again Rob.
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

O.K all I can find so far is on the frame which has
J.H.Clark&Co on it, it also has cast into it 902A,
I think I will ask whoever tunes it to try and find some more numbers. Thanks again Rob.
Bill Kibby

Melodist

Post by Bill Kibby »

Numbers are no help with this name. Clark is mainly found in the thirties, but some may be around 1915. 902A is not among the dated examples we have on file.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

The name Melodist is written in Gothic script and has quotation marks like this "Melodist". So would this be the model rather than the make also on the upper right of the soundboard in between the tuning pegs are the numbers 55596
Thanks for a great site Rob.
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

It has 88 keys, and I will get a piano tuner to find out more if poss. Catch you later Rob.
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

Sorry that number should read 53596
Bill Kibby

Melodist

Post by Bill Kibby »

As I said, numbers are no use to you for a Melodist, no dates are published.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
getcarternow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by getcarternow »

Thank you very much, I will try and find out more this end. Melodist must ba a model name rarther than the make. We will get there in the end. Thanks Rob.

PS Pianos are FAB
GarethGlyn

Re: Melodist upright

Post by GarethGlyn »

I'm afraid this won't be much help to you, but at least you will recognise a piano similar to the one you mention! The older of these two boys is me, and since I'm now 67 you can probably calculate that this photo was taken about 60 years ago. I'm afraid that even at that age I knew it wasn't a very good piano at all - the tone was jangly and it never sounded quite in tune with itself. But it's the one I got started on, and may even had had its part in starting my career as a composer! Gareth
Attachments
Geraint a Gareth wrth y piano, maint 653x346.jpg