Restringing question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Restringing question

Post by jamesp »

The restringing is going very well. However, I have a problem in that a few notes still sound a bit edgy when played. I was really hoping that replacing the slightly rusty old wire would remove this, but it doesn't. I've glued the bridge pins as per Barrie's instructions - this has been very successful and having spent ages tuning, I have got the unisons so I can't detect any beats at all. BUT whereas some notes produce a lovely smooth tone, these other ones are still a bit edgy - metallic if you like. The edgy notes are all in a group (around Eb4) and to be honest the tone varies up and down the piano. Bearing in mind that I have a new set of Abels on there which haven't been played in or voiced, is it just that I need to get someone to come and do this for me when I've finished the restring, or should I be looking for something else wrong? Also, I only glued the front row of bridge pins, could it be because I didn't glue the back row?

If you're dying to tell me that its because I have a crap piano - please do it gently!!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

you did not say if it was a grand or upright Agraphs or vbar

Have you looked at the tuning pin hight on the bad notes are they lower than the others have the coils been lifted, have all the beckets been pushed in. if a vbar have you tried moving the strings a little, was there a kink in the string. is it a size change point. And the last one are the strings level in the unison

Did you reface the Vbar did you clean the Agraphs, Have you left a bit of gule on the pin.

They will change when you work the hammers

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jamesp »

My apologies, I though't you'd remember. :wink:
Rogers baby grand; it has agraphs.

I've taken a few pics which should answer your questions. Its a bit messy (old felt e.t.c.) but this is still a "can I do it" test phase, and if this is all ok I will go for a proper job and do all the strings. The note in question is 6 from the left on the wrest pins picture.

My coil winding is not brilliant, but I think the new coils are similar to their neighbours. Do you think I've made a neat enough job of the bridge pins? Could this be the problem?

I've a feeling the picture embedding isnt going to work, otherwise view here:

http://www.jamespyke.plus.com/index_files/Pics/
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jamesp wrote:
My coil winding is not brilliant, but I think the new coils are similar to their neighbours. Do you think I've made a neat enough job of the bridge pins? Could this be the problem?

I've a feeling the picture embedding isnt going to work, otherwise view here:
the coil is a bit low on the top pin your problem could be in the agraph over time they pit as steel is harder than brass. I use to use pipe cleaners dipped in Braso and wizz them round in a drill with a back and forwards motion but I use to remove them for the frame first

Which of the 3 strings are not pure all or just one

You must realise there will be a point that you will not get all the false sound out of the strings as the scaling on Rogers was not brill you may want to put it passed a scaling program to see if it can improve it a bit, but again more money. I use to use Winscale a DOS program but I no longer have a copy the computer I had in my workshop is long gone along with my big workshop.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

"If you're dying to tell me that its because I have a crap piano - please do it gently!!"

James, are you sitting down?

The fact is, your stringing looks very good for a non-pro, in fact I've seen a whole lot worse from so-called 'experts' from loose coils, too few or too many coils, mis-aligned strings, wrestpins too far in or out, all sorts.

The pin that's sliiiightly too far in shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Assuming you used good wire (Roslau), there should be no other reason for falseness other than your piano might simply be crap.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Brumtuner wrote:
The fact is, your stringing looks very good for a non-pro, in fact I've seen a whole lot worse from so-called 'experts' from loose coils, too few or too many coils, mis-aligned strings, wrestpins too far in or out, all sorts.
Too right.

A very credible effort.
jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jamesp »

Hi Brumtuner, thanks for your response.

I'm suspicious of the bridge - haven't decided whether to do the whole restring or not yet; I'm not going to do it if it won't bring the improvement I'm looking for. (Yes it was Roslau wire).

I didn't show the pictures of my first few restringing attempts :oops: (bloody mess). In the end I made a tool to help me out! It winds neat coils on the end of the wire in a cone shape - to ensure they tighten up from the top down. (My early attempts gripped at the bottom leaving the top of the coil and beckett loose). With this tool you get it right every time!

Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

....I mean, look at the wrestpin image and check the left hand note..... 2 loose coils, then check the 11th note's coils.

Shame on that 'expert'. :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

jamesp wrote:In the end I made a tool to help me out! It winds neat coils on the end of the wire in a cone shape - to ensure they tighten up from the top down. (My early attempts gripped at the bottom leaving the top of the coil and beckett loose). With this tool you get it right every time!
You should market that!
jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jamesp »

I could be persuaded to make a few more if anyone was interested.... :wink:
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

I'd like to see a video of it in action, from setting it up to the finished job.