Tempted?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Tempted?

Post by tuna »

Have just found a cracker of a piano on ebay!

Item number 150217323049

.....I can tell you're tempted! :lol:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What a total joker.

The seller (flogger?) goes on to say:

This Fine Antique "COLLARD&COLLARD" Upright Piano in Burr Walnut Finish, was built Circa. 1825 with 6 & 1/2 Octaves. Whilst Pianos of this period incorporated Wooden Frames this generally meant that the String Tensioning required Less than the modern metal framed pianos. ie: Circa. C 517 cps (classed as Low Pitch Tension) Nevertheless, with the Re-Furbishing undertaken, this Fine Instrument stays very well in Tune,the Touch being Easy to Play together with a very pleasing Tone which shows a good Bass.As with all instruments around this period the Overall Tone tends to be somewhat lighter than the Modern Pianos. However very acceptable for Teleman,Mozart, and Beethoven besides other composers. It will prove Ideal for a Musician who appreciates Beautiful Workmanship with Appearance besides being a pleasure to play. Priced at £3500.00 with Buyer to Collect. Alternatively, we could arrange for Transport with Buyer to Pay Transporter at Delivery.

Three Thousand Five Hundred!!!!!??? Even more than the ludicrous price on the actual listing. If this geezer isn't a con-artist or chancer then he's just sadly misinformed. This is worth about a fiver. I Love All The Capital Letters for the words "Tune", "Touch" and "Overall Tone". Makes it all look Wonderfully Authoritative.

I just hope to goodness that nobody buys it for their child to learn on. I pity the poor tuner that has to tell the eventual purchaser they've bought a whole pile of shite.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Well it cheared up my start to the day!!!! To think I paid £150 for a skip and spent half a day breaking up 5 pianos like that last week. Little did I know I could have sold them for £17500. Oh how silly I feel!!!!! I guess I wasted 3 years of my life getting a proper training when I could have just picked up junk from the local skip and put it on ebay to make a living.

Thats the beauty of ebay. People are so obsessed with getting a bargain that they would rather waste a fortune on rubish than spend what it cost to buy a solid piano from a straight piano tech.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

The more I read through ebay adverts the more I think some of them are written by certifiable lunatics and nutters. And sadly they are not members of the public. They are generaly written by people who profess to know a bit about pianos and sell them as a business. Just a snipit below for your entertainment, this guy sells antiques apparantly. Is it a computer translation or is English his 2nd language?

This one superbly designed grand by its maker with roller later Bechstein type action, such "puts" (??? - what's your handicapp?) all other designs of grand and some say even those by Broadwood themselves into the shade with this type/model. That is because this piano is the only Barless Broadwood ever made - apart from the other Barless grands - ie surely can only be few left would have thought. We recommend much reading on this for the genuine musicians amongst you if for no other reason than those reasons we can constantly learn factory trends which mean we all cannot simply assume a new piano will meet all our needs.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Is that one from the amazing Mr chelseadollshouseantiques (aka raymanboy) ?

An entire thread was devoted to him a year or two back!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Sure was , I shall have to look at the old threads for a laugh!!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

If you go to the listing now it says that the vendor finished the auction early due to an error in the listing.

Too right.
He forgot to include the phrase "do not bid on this because it's a pile of shite".

...Oh no. He's relisted it.....
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

Suitable for many composers such as Beethoven?

True!

He was the deaf one after all!
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

The piano's at Nailsworth, Gloucester. Perhaps this guy could pop around and put the seller right.

....unless, of course..... :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Brumtuner wrote:The piano's at Nailsworth, Gloucester. Perhaps this guy could pop around and put the seller right.

....unless, of course..... :wink:
Well that old Collard's certainly worth a few nails.

I'd drive a few big ones right through the wrestplank to soften it up for the hatchet.