only a small percentage of new pianos are well made

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

only a small percentage of new pianos are well made

Post by pockpock »

What do experts make of this bold statement at http://www.robertspianos.com/advice.php ?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

It's generally a shite statement.

He goes on to say:

Firstly, only a small percentage of new pianos are well made - especially when looking at the cheaper ranges. Pianos such as the Yamaha E108 (made from about 1990 to 1995) and many upright pianos from the Far East which sell for under £2000 are in our opinion of really unacceptable quality, having a brash or uneven tone, action problems after a few years and unstable tuning. The new Yamaha GB1 baby grand is also of cheap construction and we recommend paying the extra for a C1 or finding a good second hand one or buying a top reconditioned baby grand from the 1920s or 30s.

The build quality of the E108 was excellent, the GB1 is very decent for the price and there's not much wrong with the tuning stability of either.

Many, many baby grands from the '20s and '30s were shoddily designed, had the revolting Simplex action or worse, one of numerous obscure and impossible to repair German designs and string scaling which make the whole thing sound like a donkey pissing on a tin shack roof. Of course the other factor to consider is the standard to which such items are restored, often leaving much to be desired.

Such sweeping statements are dangerous and should be treated as such. Of course there were many wonderful pianos from this era too, but few will be in good original condition, so the worth of each should be considered individually and they're only as good as the last restorer's work.. There are even many lousy Steinways out there ruined by shoddy restoration.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Just noticed this:

http://www.robertspianos.com/pianomakes.php

which must win the prize for being the most uninformative of sweeping generalisations on the net.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

which make the whole thing sound like a donkey pissing on a tin shack roof.
Now that's what I call specific :)
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

string scaling which make the whole thing sound like a donkey pissing on a tin shack roof.

Class :lol:

I fall about laughing when I read some of your comments, they really are so fantastically derogatory, as well as being wonderfully informative.

You should get these comments published.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Just had a look at the link - I'm pretty sure my Gran used to smoke Army & Navy - maybe that's why you never see them around these days.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

jackg wrote:string scaling which make the whole thing sound like a donkey pissing on a tin shack roof.

Class :lol:

I fall about laughing when I read some of your comments, they really are so fantastically derogatory, as well as being wonderfully informative.

You should get these comments published.
Well aye thang yew!

If you've ever heard a small 1930s four-foot-nothing double overstrung grandette you'll be instantly familiar with the sound!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:Just had a look at the link - I'm pretty sure my Gran used to smoke Army & Navy - maybe that's why you never see them around these days.
You're right!

http://www.robertspianos.com/pianomakes/ArmyandNavy.php

Roberts's can't find any either. She must have smoked the lot!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Roberts's can't find any either. She must have smoked the lot!
Sounds about right; in her heyday she would have smoked pretty much anything given a big enough packet of Rizzlas...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

What a girl!

Respect!