Advice needed - Buying a cheap upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

iskander

Advice needed - Buying a cheap upright piano

Post by iskander »

Hello

I know this is a stupid question but I would appreciate any advice: I want to buy an upright piano and I have a very limited budget. Obviously I can’t afford to be picky, but I would like something that I can use for a while. I have seen plenty auctions on ebay of upright pianos going under 50 pounds. Is there anything that I can check or ask about the piano before I buy it so that I avoid a total disaster?
Besides if the frame is metal, if the keys are in working order and if the pins seem to be stuck, can I ask anything else? Can you give me any other advice?

Thank you,
Daniel
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

People buying on eBay are either incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky. And the latter far outweigh the former, I'm afraid. The only way to be sure is to pay for a tuner to turn out and go and have a look for you. And don't forget that you have to pay for it to be moved and then tuned...you'd be better off buying a second-hand piano locally that you can go and look at and get checked out. If you don't want to pay out for that, ask the vendors for the tuners' details and give him/her a ring and ask their honest opinion on the piano.
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

Hi

I would say avoid E-Bay, it is the dumping ground for pianos which are "past their sell buy date"!
Speak to local dealers or tuners who may have a part exchange piano which they want to sell quickly.
Which area are you in and maybe I can recommend someone.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Thank you for your answers. I do realize that ebay is a gamble, but I think I would take the chance because right now my budget is very limited and I doubt I would find anything as cheap anywhere else.
hammer man, I am in Surrey.

Thanks,
Daniel
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

As Hammerman said, you could contact local tuners; we often have customers on our books who are ready to upgrade and who will be getting rid of an older (and therefore cheap) upright. Quite often they don't require paying, as they just want rid, but don't want to simply dump it. And if they've bothered to have it tuned then it has been (sort of) looked after. Look on the local Freecycle website for your area too.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Yeah, Freecycle's the way.

Like eBay, but there's no money invoved. At least that way you know what to expect.
hammer man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by hammer man »

whoops, sorry for the late reply, it involved a boat.
As you are based in Surrey try Derek Love at Piano Workshop in Reigate, he has a decent selection.