Sprecher & Comp.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

cherf

Sprecher & Comp.

Post by cherf »

Hello,

I saw a nice piano and want to buy it, could you tell me if the anotations on it would be means anything?

I can read on the top:"Price Medal AWARDET Springscher + Cie. for General Exelence London 1862"

and in it: "Sprecher & Comp. Zürich"

Does 1862 means that it is the date he was made?
Do you ever heard from Sprecher & Comp.?

Do you know if it does be a good piano?

Thank you for your answers,

Florian
Bill Kibby

Sprecher

Post by Bill Kibby »

I've seen the name sometimes, but I don't know anything useful about them. Surpisingly enough, it means "Prize medal awarded for general excellence, London 1862"! That was the London Exhibition which followed the Great Exhibition. They received the medal, and the piano is after that year.

Are you sure it says Springscher?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Re: Sprecher / Springscher

Post by Bill Kibby »

Is Josef still in touch with the forum? Another owner of a Sprecher piano would like to contact him.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
adamhenning12

Post by adamhenning12 »

I have just bought at auction an AMAZING Sprecher and Comp piano in original condition with hand painted murals on the front with dazzling gold paint. The piano is absolutely gorgeous but sadly i can find very little on the piano company besides they were operating 1855-1857 and im really trying to figure out what its value is. If anyone can help me PLEASE let me know! I can send photos in a flash. Thanks,

Adam H
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It would be interesting to see photos, so we know what sort of piano we are talking about.

Nobody anywhere can begin to the value or condition of a piano without being on the spot to inspect it and tune it.

In 1850, Sprecher moved to Zürich, and founded a piano factory known as Sprecher & Beer. By 1860 they were Sprecher & Comp., and in 1862 they received a Prize Medal awarded for General Excellence at the London Exhibition. In 1873, the name changed to "Sprecher & Butte", and in 1877 it changed again, to "Sprecher & Söhne".

It seems likely that your piano would be around the 1860s.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

adamhenning12 wrote:I have just bought at auction an AMAZING Sprecher and Comp piano in original condition with hand painted murals on the front with dazzling gold paint. The piano is absolutely gorgeous but sadly i can find very little on the piano company besides they were operating 1855-1857 and im really trying to figure out what its value is. If anyone can help me PLEASE let me know! I can send photos in a flash. Thanks,

Adam H
One assumes this is an upright, although you don't state as such.
Several good photos would be interesting.
As a rule of thumb with an old piano, the value is what one is prepared to pay. So as a rough guide I would guess it's worth what you bid and obtained it for. It depends too where you are located. In some countries where pianos are hard to come by, yours may be worth a little more; inversely in some places it may not have sold at all, especially as it's not a sought-after name.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Sprecher & Comp.

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I've not seen this makers name in the auction price guide book.
NewAge is spot on about valuation - you usually get what you paid for it in return - perhaps an extra £50 if you get it tuned; there is no 'magic' figure for an old piano increasing in value. Auction prices tend to be around £0 - £50 for unknown makes, but if your piano is of particular beauty/ tuned regularly & serviced.... it may fetch more.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
adamhenning12

Post by adamhenning12 »

I have high quality photos and would love for you all to look at it. Yes it is an upright. I just dont know how to post photos on this forum? As well i can email the photos to you as well. I would send them immediately.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

There is a description at the top of this forum about uploading pictures, here are a couple of the ones you emailed to me. As I said, I suspect this is a piano of the 1860s, with pictures from the 1890s added. Are there any numbers inside the top?
Sprecher2.jpg
Sprecher1.jpg
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
adamhenning12

Post by adamhenning12 »

Yes, their is a number inside where the hammers are. It reads "No.1453" That is the only number or writing any where on the piano inside and out.