T. G. Payne piano.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

mazza

T. G. Payne piano.

Post by mazza »

I have a T. G. Payne piano, and I can't seem to find out much about it... It is an upright piano, no candlestick holders and when one opens the top lid, the strings are visable in a 'v' shape formation pointing down. It does have some kind of trade mark which consists of a large triangle situated in the 'v' of the strings. On the border of the triangle are "t.g. payne" "established" and "mdcccxci". Then in the centre of the triangle it has a smaller triangle depicting a tree which holds what seems to be a sphere with some of the signs of the Zodiac accross it and in small print "trademark" above it.

It also has t.g. payne in brass under the music fold-down stand. And again in iron plate under the lid next to the strings.

Whew. I think that's everything, except, oh yes, it is encased in walnut veneer.

Can you tell me anything about the date of this piano, or it's history, or even (she asks timidly) the worth? Or if there are any websites on these pianos, that would be fantastic.

Thanks very much for your time.
Maz.
Bill Kibby

Payne

Post by Bill Kibby »

This particular Payne, T.& G. Payne, was established in London, 1892. Circa 1906, They became a limited company. By the thirties, they had moved to Kentish Town.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
mazza

Post by mazza »

Right, ok. In that case, would you have an idea how to work out at which point T.G.Payne built my Piano?
(Thanks for your help so far!)
Bill Kibby

Payne

Post by Bill Kibby »

Type pianohistory.info in the address bar, and you'll find my website. Press ALL the buttons, especially datemarks, and these may help. If you send photos, these will also help, but there is no guarantee of finding a precise date.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The best way it is click on the www at the bottom of your sig the one with the little house :lol:
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Payne & Pain

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, but unfortunately, being more into pianos than computers, there is so much unnecessary junk on the screen most of the time, I don't know what half of it is, and life forunately provides more exciting challenges than pressing every button on every website to see what it does! Explanations, when they are even offered, don't make much of an attempt at plain english, and use terms (like emoticons) that most people have never heard of, or vandalise existing words (like avatar) and turn them into somthing completely different.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Blame the Yanks for the mucking up of English, because you use the internet you can now tell folk that you speak three languages English, American and Australian :twisted:
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
bltonwry

Re: T. G. Payne piano.

Post by bltonwry »

I just tuned T.G. Payne upright #23316 in Coventry: 1) very beautiful art deco case (I know, usually one so beautiful turns out to have old rubbish inside) and perfect ivories; 2) all the design features of a modern Yamaha upright including massive frame (plate), cross stringing, proper dampers, metal action standards, barrel capstans. In short, a rare 100-yr-old brit piano with proper Yankee design. It came up from A 432 with just one broken treble string. It's a great piano, possibly too good to survive in the cutthroat piano environment of its day. And worth about 50p in today's.