Kawai CA63 or Yamaha CLP470

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kawai CA63 or Yamaha CLP470

Post by danlightbulb »

These are both around the £2,000 mark online.

They both have natural wood keys, but the Kawai has an action which looks very different to the normal digital piano action and looks quite unique in this. Image

Having been disappointed with my current Classenti because of a clunky action, I'm really looking for something very smooth, quiet and robust.

Also, does anyone have any experience with dawsons? (www.dawsons.co.uk). The reason being that they offer a pay nothing for 12 months finance deal, which i've not seen elsewhere.

Thanks
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Kawai CA63 or Yamaha CLP470

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Dawsons are a well known high street musical retailer mainly covering the north west with something like 7 or 8 different shops. They have very nice stores but judging by their U3 prices they tend to be quite expensive. I'm not sure what their keyboard prices are like but I'd guess they aren't the cheapest either.

:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danlightbulb »

The Kawai is £2025 on dawsons, which is about £80 dearer than Thommans. However in my nearest piano shop its £2295.

Id be really interested to know what you think of this piano? I'm prepared to spend this money if I can get the right thing. I don't want to make another costly mistake like I did with the Classenti I have.
danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danlightbulb »

I went and tried the CA63 today, have to say the key action is lovely. It makes a reassuring soft , low, thud when keys are pressed, and I compared this directly to the Yahama GH3 action which sounded much more plasticky. The thud made on the GH3 was of a higher pitch than the kawai, I think this is what is most noticeable.

Both actions were considerably better than the classenti action, which although of the same weight, feels much looser by comparison.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The strange thing about keyboard action is that the voice setup and quality can also have a major impact too. In other words, which one sounded better? Personally, I think Kawai trails behind Yamaha or Roland.
danlightbulb
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danlightbulb »

I'm gonna go back for a second try, and i'll compare the sound more then. On my first visit i couldn't really tell a difference, they both sounded great, in particular the treble which was very clear and sharp on both.

Its always going to sound different in a big shop than in my small living room. It will take hours of playing to decide which of the voices I like the best, but there are that many voices and set up options i'm sure it will be fine. The key action was the most important thing, I need a key action that is soft and quiet at low volumes.

Thanks
TommyTV

Post by TommyTV »

Hi
I too am looking to replace my ageing Yamaha CLP 123, and compared the Yamaha CLP470 with the Kawai CA63. I have to say I thought the Kawai action was very accurate, although a little too easy to play quietly compared to a Yamaha Grand. The sound in the low registers beat the Yamaha outhright, although I think a little tweaking will be required to soften the upper registers.
Overall I was very impressed with the Kawai. It was about £1960 at Sounds Great in Heald near Manchester.
Cheers
Martin
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I'm quite surprised to see how Kawai and Roland tend to be priced higher than Yamaha's equivalent models. I know that Kawai can offer more extras such as 192 polyphony and give a lot of thought to their keyboard action but did no one else feel that the Kawai#s upper region (from say D5 upwards) sounded a little artificial or overly-stereo?