Kawai CN42 or CA51

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

pianopaul
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kawai CN42 or CA51

Post by pianopaul »

I am considering buying either an ex demo Kawai CA51(with 3 year warrantry) or a new CN42. Both cost about £1200. The CN42 has more polyphony 128 as opposed to 96 and more sounds. However I think the CA series is generally more upmarket and the new price of the CA51 is a few hundred punds more than the CN42.
The CA51 has wooden keys; do they make much difference? and is the piano action better in the 42 or 51?
Anyone any experience of these pianos and any opinions as to which is better value?
Also how do you think the Casio AP620 compares with these pianos?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kawai CN42 or CA51

Post by markymark »

pianopaul wrote:The CA51 has wooden keys; do they make much difference? and is the piano action better in the 42 or 51?
Kawai in my part of the world is hard to come by in terms of their digital and stage pianos. I haven't considered it to be a particular loss because I don't feel that the piano sound is particularly authentic when compared to Roland and in particular Yamaha.

The wooden keys, and in particular if Kawai have used real grand piano wooden keys which are longer than standard piano keys, the feel will be slightly more authentic owing to the greater weight of the keys. As for the models themselves, I have no personal experience of either of them.
piano55

Re: Kawai CN42 or CA51

Post by piano55 »

i suggest that you use a new CN42 i had ever used it it has a good timbre