Crackling Monitor Channel on FP-8

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

alandav123
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Crackling Monitor Channel on FP-8

Post by alandav123 »

hi all, having a wee problem with my Roland FP-8 digital piano.

The line outs work perfectly but the stereo monitors work perfect on the lower end (LHS)of the keyboard but are very weak almost non exsistent on the higer end (RHS).

When the monitor fader is adjusted from min to max it crackles quite alarmingly through the RHS speakers. About halfway up the monitor fader gives sound to both speakers (LHS & RHS) but the RHS is still way weaker than the loud and clear LHS.

I have two spare FP-8 piano that could be used for spares and I wondered if I should try and swap out the monitor fader for a line out fader from another one. i spent many hours yesterday trying this and that but I simply could not get the speakers to play in stereo.
Any constructive advise would be welcomed.
Regards Alan
PS I tried spraying an electrical contact spray into the mon fader but that reduced crackling but the feed to the RHS speakers was still no good.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Crackling Monitor Channel on FP-8

Post by markymark »

I was going to suggest a contact spray for the crackling - glad that seems to have helped. You may need to use it 3-4 times to get rid of all crackling.

The only other thing I can suggest is using a DI box - are you using a mixer?
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Crackling Monitor Channel on FP-8

Post by athomik »

I'd say it still looks like a worn fader. It seems that the fader is worn to a point where just cleaning no longer works, i.e. the carbon track is worn beyond repair. Try a new fader.

Although the symptoms would indicate otherwise, there is an outside chance that there is a bad joint around the amplifiers or the speaker is damaged, but you would expect a damaged speaker to crackle at all volumes, not to improve as you push up the fader and a bad joint would cause random crackling, irrespective of volume settings.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net