Novice + First Digital Piano - ADVICE PLS

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

anth.payne

Novice + First Digital Piano - ADVICE PLS

Post by anth.payne »

Hi everyone

This is my first post here, so please go easy on me :?

When I was younger, I spent 3 years having piano lessons. 10 years, a wife and 2 kids later, we are getting broody for a piano, as we are keen on bringing the kids up with one. We have been considering a Clavinova CVP series, but in my wisdom, I have just won a digital piano on Ebay.

It is a Technics SX-PR602 which is working well, apart from having a 'dull' sound from the speakers, more so at the higher end. I spoke to an engineer before I bought it who suggested one of two things, the amp, or the speakers themselves, more so the speakers than the amp, which makes sense.

I'm thinking I have two options. 1) I could attempt to replace the speakers, or 2) Use the line out to connect it to an amp, driving a pair of stereo speakers (since the piano will be right next to my amp).

More so, I was also hoping that anyone here may have some experience of these? They appear to be seldom discussed on the WWW.

Please let me know your opinions...
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Novice + First Digital Piano - ADVICE PLS

Post by NewAge »

anth.payne wrote:Hi everyone

This is my first post here, so please go easy on me :?

When I was younger, I spent 3 years having piano lessons. 10 years, a wife and 2 kids later, we are getting broody for a piano, as we are keen on bringing the kids up with one. We have been considering a Clavinova CVP series, but in my wisdom, I have just won a digital piano on Ebay.

It is a Technics SX-PR602 which is working well, apart from having a 'dull' sound from the speakers, more so at the higher end. I spoke to an engineer before I bought it who suggested one of two things, the amp, or the speakers themselves, more so the speakers than the amp, which makes sense.

I'm thinking I have two options. 1) I could attempt to replace the speakers, or 2) Use the line out to connect it to an amp, driving a pair of stereo speakers (since the piano will be right next to my amp).

More so, I was also hoping that anyone here may have some experience of these? They appear to be seldom discussed on the WWW.

Please let me know your opinions...
I know exactly what you mean about "getting broody for a piano......keen on bringing the kids up with one". I was in the same situation a number of years ago.

Technics don’t make pianos anymore so repairs and parts (if required) will be difficult. This and the fact that it is over 10 years old, hopefully was reflected in the purchase price.
However, generally you should have little to worry about - quality was good and it should be quite durable. And I believe there should be a measure of support still available by Panasonic.
Interestingly enough, I was looking around for a top-end digital piano at around the time this model was released (1998 I believe), and tried Rolands, Technics and Yamahas over a period of many months – and it was the latter Clavinova CVP models which I really preferred – especially the sound and keyboard touch.
You say the sound of your Technics is ‘dull’ which is often the case from built-in speakers. How does it sound with a good pair of headphones?
The second option you mention - using the line out to connect it to an amp, driving a pair of stereo speakers – should transform the sound. Please give it a try and report back.
Oh, and when you children get to a reasonable standard, say after 2 years or so, funds permitting don't hesitate to check out 'real' pianos. The touch and realism compared to a DP is the difference between chalk & cheese and for any serious player or advanced beginner, just has to be experienced.
In the meantime just enjoy your Technics.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I remember Technics digital pianos, and in 1993 a church I know bought a top end model. It cost £2500 then and it had 64 voice polyphony which was advanced for then. It had a nice keyboard with a hammer action and a sound that was PCM sampled from a Steinway. It was quite a natural sound, very warm. Todays samples are better but this is still a nice instrument - I have a soft spot for the Technics piano sound and its a shame they're not made anymore, because they could have gone on to be a real alternative to the Clavinova or the Roland (which seem to be the only 2 worth looking at these days).

Now, there is a guy called Mike Barden who specializes in repairing old digital pianos, and he has experience with Technics. I'd google him and give him a phone. There's something on his website about the amplifiers sometimes going on technics pianos, but its repairable. Good luck!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

They did have a good piano sound then but if they had continued to grow and develop their lines, Technics could have been a serious competition and fill a market where Casio has been able to pick up the leftover competition from the other two giants in the music trade.

Did I read somewhere that GEM has recently ceased production this year? That was another brand that was onto the beginning of something good - soundwise that is! I have never come across one in person save for seeing Rick Wakeman playing GEM keyboards with a smattering of the other brands.

Kurzweil is a brand that I personally fear is going to go the same way, in the UK that is, unless they do more to promote their brands and to include a decent stage piano. They have some great features to their instruments, but with my liaison with Kurzweil, despite their great customer service, they will not fix this sustain issue with their upper scale notes (using the piano programmes) nor are considering the inclusion of a progressive hammer action on a portable stage piano. This is where Roland and Yamaha strengthen their brand.
anth.payne

Post by anth.payne »

Thanks for your posts everyone...

Sorry for not posting back, suffered ill health and totally forgot about my post here

I took the plunge on the technics, and love it. It is a nice peice of kit.

Upon further investigation, it appears the issue is only with the right tweeter speaker - although I did speak to a technician for the technics, who said the amp is a common issue in these.

On the other hand, it really hardly effects the sound, until you hit the high notes, or whack up the volume. Similarly, a nice pair of active speakers does the job very well.

Moving on from this, me and the wife are now considering selling it, and upgrading to a Clavinova (which we have loved for some time now). This is also related to the fact that we have decided to redecorate, and the ebony black will be much more fitting :wink:

Anthony