clp170 volume and sound problems

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

wilton
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

clp170 volume and sound problems

Post by wilton »

Quite suddenly my clp170, Purchased in Jan.2005, has reduced volume and the sound is thin and tinny I have removed the back and checked all visible connections, reset to factory settings, unplugged headphones, and set speaks to on but to no avail.
Phoned Yamaha they suspect a faulty power amplifier, sounds expensive, does anyone have any experience or suggestions
Best regards
Wilton
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: clp170 volume and sound problems

Post by joseph »

I would get a service engineer to have a look at it. Unless it's been abused in some way I can't think why there would be an amp problem other than Yamaha installed a faulty one and it was just waiting. . . .

The 170 is still a fairly high spec model so I guess its worth having repaired. If the fault is Yamaha's then they will surely do the repair for free?http://www.silverdaddies.com/
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: clp170 volume and sound problems

Post by markymark »

Hmmm... if it is the amplifier then Yamaha will have to look at it. Getting another amplifier and installing it into a digital piano (if that is even doable) is a complicated project.

The problem with Clavinovas is that they usually only have a 3-year warranty and therefore you would be responsible for the cost of fixing it thereafter. Check with your seller (local retailer, online supplier, etc.) to check warranty and explain your situation. It is unusual for the hardware to start playing up after say four years of use (it was bought brand new right?). Usually things like keys or velocity sensors MIGHT start to play up around this time but even then, a digital piano is mostly solid and reliable during the first 10 years of its lifetime.