CVP or CLP?

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

Graham S

CVP or CLP?

Post by Graham S »

Hi I'm looking to buy a digital piano it'll be used by myself a total beginner, my partner who used to play a little when she was at school and my 4 year old daughter to start to learn on.

We are all looking to learn and progress through the grades but I'm unsure what piano to get.

Our budget is around £2 - £3 K I've been looking at the CVP range primarily the 403 and 405 but also maybe the older 300 range 303 and above.

I've read alot about the feel of the keys and this is primarily the reason for avoiding the base models.
However I don't know what to pick the CVP range or CLP.

I guess I am drawn to the CVP due to the extra features and buttons that I'll probably never use but I'm a man so I can't help it :lol:

The other thing that interested me about the CVP is the guide feature that lets you follow the lights not sure how usefull this would be but it might help the kids and me learn I guess

Are the CLP's better/closer to acoustic than the CVP range or are they pretty much the same and theres just more features on the CVP's? and if so are the features worth it?

The most important thing I guess is that the piano is good to learn on while the whole family wants to learn I am keen to get one for my daughters (granted they are very young) and ideally not have to upgrade too regularly.

Any advise would be great.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: CVP or CLP?

Post by markymark »

The CVP is the versatile range and the CLP is the classical range.
The CLP focuses on the piano and related keyboard sounds. The CVP aims to provide a variety of other quality sounds, some of which could be found on the stage piano models like the CP-300. The ranges are different because the CVP has more features.

As far as piano keyboard action is concerned, you can consult the Clavinova websites for an exact breakdown of the features.

The CVP range: http://clavinova.yamaha-europe.com/uk/index2.html
The CLP range: http://clavinova.yamaha-europe.com/uk/index2.html

The keyboard actions are in four main categories but are the same used in both the CLP and CVP range. There is not a separate range of keyboard actions used in CVPs. See the Digital Pianos FAQs for more information on the keyboard actions Yamaha uses.

I should mention from a learning perspective that if piano lessons and graded exams are in your plans for the use of the instrument that an acoustic may be better suited to you which would cost about the same. Of course, if all the bells and whistles are important to you, then this argument is redundant.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

markymark wrote:
As far as piano keyboard action is concerned, you can consult the Clavinova websites for an exact breakdown of the features.

The CVP range: http://clavinova.yamaha-europe.com/uk/index2.html
The CLP range: http://clavinova.yamaha-europe.com/uk/index2.html
Just realised that these links only bring you to the home page.

You will have to click on the "BUYERS' GUIDE" link and then click on the model range that interests you.
Graham S

Post by Graham S »

Unfortunatly acoustic is not an option at the moment due to space, and I like the fact that we can all practise on the digital without driving each other nuts from the noise!

Thanks for the reply it looks like they are both suitable for a learner at least up to grade 5 or then it'll be time for an acoustic and a bigger house.
jollymark

Post by jollymark »

a CVP and CLP largely comes down to how much you are willing to spend and which features you want in your Clavinova. Do you homework. Check out our complete collection of CLP and CVP reviews here or type the specific Clavinova model you are looking for in the search boxes on this page to find our review on it.
CLP stands for Clavinova cLassical Piano
CVP stands for Clavinova Versatile Piano
jacmack

Post by jacmack »

It depends - today one is not inherently any better than the other. As with everything else, there are some acoustic pianos that aren't worth buying, as there are some digital pianos that aren't worth buying. As the question relates to CVPs, the CVP is a better instrument than most low-to-mid-priced acoustic pianos. Its keyboard performance surpasses that of many modern acoustic uprights and low-end grand pianos (see more on this in the discussion related to the Graded Hammer keyboard).

It's a little-known fact that the most frequent reason that students eventually drop piano lessons is because their piano has ceased to satisfy them, so they reach a point when they loose interest in playing. A "beginner piano" will quickly become an obstacle as the student progresses to meet the piano's limitations. Unfortunately, few people realize that the piano has become an obstical until the interest has waned, and then it's too late to recapture the student's enthusiasm.
donal

Post by donal »

Features. Although some of the new high-end CLPs (CLP 370/380) have slightly blurred the line between CLP and CVP features such as 16-track sequencers, iFAC, and real wood keys with synthetically coated ivory keytops, the CVP models remain at the helm for their abundance in features, high quality voices, and graphical user interface.

Recent CLPs (CLP 370/380), however, have pushed the piano realism barrier even further than the current flagship Clavinova CVP 407/409 models with 4-level (CLP 370) and 5-level (CLP 380) piano velocity samples with key-off samples and iFAC.
So, if you're looking for a Clavinova that will do it all, go with a CVP model. However, if you purely want a digital piano go with a CLP model.
Remember, deciding between a CVP and CLP largely comes down to how much you are willing to spend and which features you want in your Clavinova. Do you homework. Check out our complete collection of CLP and CVP reviews here or type the specific Clavinova model you are looking for in the search boxes on this page to find our review on it.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hooey! The CLP and CVP lines use the SAME keyboards and SAME tone generators.
The differences are (1) the accompaniment features in the CVP line, (2) the cabinetry, and (3) the speakers.
Buy the CVP for the accompaniment features. Otherwise save thousands and get as good or better from a CLP model.
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

The CLP 320 is a great improvement over the CLP 220. With 128 notes of polyphony, 3-level AWM dynamic stereo sampling, and damper with half pedal effect, we were quite impressed with this instrument also considering that the CLP 320 is the entry-level model in its class.
One of the most dramatic new features of the CLP 320 is its increase of polyphony—to 128 notes of polyphony (CLP 220 has 64 notes of polyphony). Putting some perspective on this number, the flagship CLP 380 also has 128 notes of polyphony! Now that's really impressive!
Another great new feature is the 3-level AWM dynamic stereo sampling feature to the CLP 320. This was a feature that was only available to higher end CLP 200 series instruments. From the clips we've heard, this piano sounds absolutely fantastic!