I've gone digital finally.....

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I've gone digital finally.....

Post by joseph »

OK guys, I have been planning for quite some time to buy a digital piano, mainly for practice after 9 pm, AND for those wacky modern pieces that the neighbours hate.

I have looked at several options, Kawai, Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP, but then I decided that perhaps I should look at portable instruments- why? I was away for the weekend in the Highlands and I borrowed my friends RD-700sx to practise on. very nice actually although a little light in the touch and no speakers.

I considered a Kawai ES-6, or a Roland FP-7. However today I was in my local music store in Dundee and they had a brand new Yamaha CP-300 for 1200 quid. The price was knocked down because of a tiny scratch on the speaker grate that you can't really see. Apart from that it's immaculate.

I played it, I liked it, I played it again, I still liked it. I left the shop, I thought about it, I went back, I played it again and I discovered I could buy it Interest Free on HP over 12 months. So I did. I have ordered it and it should be here either this week or early next. I will eventually get round to buying the proper stand for it but until then I have a sturdy stand that will take it.

So now I can practise after 9, and I can practise when I go on holiday (within the UK, by road). Also I will be able to play the odd gig in an old folks home etc, to try out programmes and keep the people entertained.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I've gone digital finally.....

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:

So now I can practise after 9, and I can practise when I go on holiday (within the UK, by road). Also I will be able to play the odd gig in an old folks home etc, to try out programmes and keep the people entertained.
There is some rubbish pianos in old folks home I always recommend a digital in them places

So you will not be getting much vitamin D over the next few week then enjoy the new toy

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I wont get much vitamin D in Dundee anyway, Despite having the accolade of 'Scotland's Sunniest City' the weather has been atrocious.

I'm off to Vienna the week after next to do a competition. I don't care so much about the comp, just the nice weather!

Pianos in old folks homes seem to be baked or something, so that they are unplayable. I hope if I ever end up in a home that they will let me turn the heating down or open a window, it's stifling in there!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nice place Vienna lost of musical events on all year round.

in some of them home you can fry an egg on the floor its that hot

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Oh that's maybe a bit too hot.....

I have got my digital piano now, and I do like it, but whenever I play it I'm thinking, I love my grand pianos so much....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:Oh that's maybe a bit too hot.....

I have got my digital piano now, and I do like it, but whenever I play it I'm thinking, I love my grand pianos so much....
They both have there advantages in different places and quite a lot of digitalis are far better than some of the rubbish I have to tune.

Are you sponsored by Bluthners for the concerts you do

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

There is an offer that Bluthner have for certain pianists that is they will provide a concert grand piano free of charge providing the artist or venue pays for the removal costs. Which makes it worthwhile just playing on the junk that's there because moving a concert grand around the country is not cheap. I get to use their practice rooms free of charge whenever I'm in London.

Last solo recital I did, the Edinburgh Piano Company sponsored it by providing a piano free of charge, not even a removal fee. :piano;
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Congratulations! Another CP-300 owner!

I bought it for use in church mostly but I ALSO bought the more portable CP-33 which has the same basic sounds minus the built in speakers.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I think the CP33 might only be 64 voice instead of 128? I know that most of the time 64 is enough.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Oh yeah! There are a few differences between the two when you go into the nitty-gritty, polyphony and the number of voice variations being the two that come to mind immediately.

I personally prefer the CP-300 because of the more solid feel; the keyboard actions are the same, but being almost double the weight of the CP-33, the CP-300 is a more sturdy feeling instrument.