General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

dmahon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Where to buy - local or internet?

Post by dmahon »

Thanks for previous advice.

I moved about 12 months ago, but there was a big store (Dawsons) near where I lived so I popped in when I was passing by. Unfortunately it was a Sunday and they were closed! I did find a store nearer where I live now and had a look there the other day - I haven't completely made up my mind but I am leaning towards the Yamaha Clavinova 340PE (I prefer the cabinet to that of the 370 and can't tell any difference in the keyboard).

I would like to support the local store, as the guy was obviously very enthusiastic and he manages to have a large demonstration range available - however he wants £2200 (including stool and delivery).

Dawsons want £2000 (including the same).
IMusician.co.uk (which appears to be the internet arm of Dawsons) want £1800 (for the same again).

I'll ring the local chap and see if he can give me a better price - but how much of a premium would you be prepared to pay to order it from your local dealer? If it were an acoustic piano, I would place quite a high premium on it, but as a digital piano should sound the same no matter where I buy it from I am more inclinded to buy it from any (reputable) store. 5% may be acceptable, but 10% is starting to push it and 20% is definately too much for me.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to buy - local or internet?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Dawsons don't discount that much, Rocking Rooster (owned by Rimmers) discount a lot and so do Reidys on the web. Rimmers have a price promise if you go into the shop. All 3 shops are manly based in the North West of England but Dawsons do have some shops in the south

Buying a keyboard is not thee same as buying a real piano once you have found the keyboard you like its just a matter who offers the best price

But remember this if we all buy off the net then all the shops will close and there will be nowhere to try them out Quite often if you buy from the shop if you go back in a few years for an upgrade they tend to give you a better deal all round

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dmahon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dmahon »

Well I'd written an email to the chap before I went to visit, but for some reason it hadn't got sent so (obviously) I had not had a reply. It got sent on Sunday and he came back to me with a price that was less than 10% more than I could get it for online so I'm inclined to get it locally with the backup that generally provides.

As for Dawson's not discounting - there's no point ever buying anything from Dawson's online (as opposed to their store). iMusician, which is owned by Dawsons, has exactly the same website and stock as Dawsons, but offers everything approximately 10% cheaper.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

dmahon wrote:As for Dawson's not discounting - there's no point ever buying anything from Dawson's online (as opposed to their store). iMusician, which is owned by Dawsons, has exactly the same website and stock as Dawsons, but offers everything approximately 10% cheaper.
The problem is that retailers on the high street have more costs that online retailers with commercial tax, etc. You don't have to worry about providing space and demonstration of the equipment when they send you a package via mail.
dmahon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dmahon »

markymark wrote:
dmahon wrote:As for Dawson's not discounting - there's no point ever buying anything from Dawson's online (as opposed to their store). iMusician, which is owned by Dawsons, has exactly the same website and stock as Dawsons, but offers everything approximately 10% cheaper.
The problem is that retailers on the high street have more costs that online retailers with commercial tax, etc. You don't have to worry about providing space and demonstration of the equipment when they send you a package via mail.
I know - but iMusician IS Dawsons, just trading under a different name.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I gathered that and it's not anything new in retail by any means. Marks and Spencer have plastered "Save 10% by buying online" down the side of their delivery vans. Does that mean that M&S is in direct competition with itself? Of course not! It is cheaper for any retailer to dispatch directly from their depot to a consumer. It is unwise for any retailer not to have an online service of some kind but there is a real downside for the high street branches. Either way, they can ensure a sale of some description although you are paying for the extras in a branch shop like customer service, questions and answers, demonstrations, services and after care and basically, being able to see and try out the instrument you will be buying for yourself. Besides your basic manufacturer's warranty, you won't get any of that extra stuff with an online sale.

So, my point then? If you are going to buy online, you need to know what you are buying is exactly what you want, you know how to operate the instrument (if applicable) and that you are sure it is everything the advertisements make them out to be. This is why we use a term "buying blind" here. If you have not seen or tried the instrument, you run the risk of being disappointed. Folks on this forum have stories that go either way depending on how sure they were about being happy with their purchase.
dmahon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dmahon »

We're probably at crossed purposes - there are advantages to buying things from Dawson's shop. I concede that and indeed, that is why I have now ordered my Clavinova from a local retail outlet at a slight premium over the best online price I could find. I meant I can't see the point in buying anything from Dawson's website when you can buy exactly the same thing (from the same pile of stock at the same warehouse) on the iMusician website and save yourself £100 - I wouldn't even be surprised if it arrives with paperwork saying Dawson's on it no matter which site actually processed your order.
Last edited by dmahon on 30 Mar 2009, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if you buy from a shop who has an on-line presence under a different name quite often they have a chain of shops, if you buy from the shop then it comes from that shops stock and goes on that shops sale and make that shops balance sheet better. if you buy of the website the despatch W/house tends to be in the middle of an industrial complex and in the North of England will less rates, heating, staff and insurance (as the public is not coming on site) overheads. So you can pass on the 10% and still make the more profit and quite often are run as a separate company.

As it is you have helped to keep the going well done

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page